During the process of switching to CMake I’ve noticed that on windows my .vst3 files are now folders.
This seems like a recent change as my VST3 used to just be Plugin.vst3 on windows without any folder or contents.
I’m not seeing any other plugins in my vst3 folder deployed in this manner (all are binaries) – I’m wondering if others are shipping .vst3 in this way and if we’ll have issues? It appears they load fine in Ableton but I’m not sure if this is the case with all DAWs?
I can say in REAPER .vst3 folders load also fine.
While quickly checking my Common Files/VST3 folder I noticed SonoBus installs as SonoBus.vst3 folder, that’s the only one I have there that’s not only a binary though.
To this, only Reaper developers can give a definite answer, but my guess is that usually folders don’t have “.vst3” extension, thus when an old Reaper version does the scan for VST3s, it might do something similar (pseudo code):
for all entries in VST3 search path
if (entry.get_extension() == ".vst3")
else if (entry.is_directory())
With this kind of code, any directory that has “.vst3” extension, gets ignored because it cannot be loaded as a VST3 binary file and is not recursed into for searching binaries inside it.
You could try renaming your bundle folder and give it any other extension to see if my guess is correct
The recent folder structure of VST3 is really ugly and a step backwards. Apart from incompatibilites with hosts it allows users to mess around in your plugins and make them crash or edit them in an unwanted way.
It’s another bad design decision made by the Steinberg guys.
It is still possible to build them in the classic way. I remember when I built a project with the VST 3.7 SDK (without JUCE) had to do some changes to the VST3 SDK to bring back the old behavour. If there is interest i can check out what I did.