Cmake windows build artefact: plugin.vst3/contents/x86_64-win/plugin.vst3

Hi,
I am in the process of getting some windows versions of my plugins up and running for people to use. I have been using this template as a guide on getting Cmake and Github Actions to work nicely. However when I build for windows, the artefact generated is in a tree of directories:
plugin.vst3/contents/x86_64-win/plugin.vst3
Which i have not seen addressed anywhere in the template (maybe in the packaging.iss script?).
Is this expected? is it ok to simply retrieve the actual raw vst3 file from the tree and package that as my binary? i.e. do we really need the information contained in ā€œmoduleinfo.jsonā€? my daw seems to pick up the information fine without it such as manufacturer, version etc. or is it daw specfic?

I am planning on simply distributing the plugins as files rather than installers, partly out of laziness and partly because I like simplicity.

Cheers

update: I have been reading some other forum posts such as this one but havenā€™t got a definitive answer on if the folder bundled structure is necessary. All of the other plugins on my PCā€™s VST3 folder do not have this structure, they are raw .vst3 or dll files. I woul prefer to distribute my plugins as discrete binaries like this. However these forum posts would indicate that the folder structure is now required for vst3 on windows. whats going on?

The single file vst3 plugin is deprecated by steinberg. As with many things, it might keep working a few more months even years, but one day they will only accept the bundle/directory stucture.

Embrace it, the folder structure has also advantages, not only consistency with other platforms.

I see, how long as it been deprecated and how come I donā€™t see other plugins using this format?

You probably didnā€™t see VST3 plugins for 10 years, even though it existed :wink:

Hereā€™s the reference:
https://steinbergmedia.github.io/vst3_dev_portal/pages/Technical+Documentation/Locations+Format/Plugin+Format.html#for-the-windows-platform

ā“˜ Note
In previous SDKs, the VST 3 plug-in was defined as a single dll file with the .vst3 extension. This has been deprecated since VST 3.6.10.

1 Like