Demo Plugin not seen in Live (MinGW)

Hi all,

I’m having some teething problems trying to get the JAP demo to work using MinGw. I’ve managed to compile the project succesfully but unfortunately Live is unable to see the plugin. I’m able to get it to work in MiniHost though, are there any ‘tricks’ I have to know about for Live?

I’ve tried with the given code and a slightly modified version with the dll exports modified to match those of the VST SDK and neither work, here’s the section of the VST wrapper I modified:

[code]extern “C”
{
#ifdef JUCE_MAC
attribute((visibility(“default”))) AEffect* main_macho (audioMasterCallback audioMaster)
{
initialiseJuce_GUI();

#else
__declspec(dllexport) AEffect* VSTPluginMain (audioMasterCallback audioMaster)
{
#endif
    MessageManager::getInstance()->setTimeBeforeShowingWaitCursor (0);
    try
    {
        if (audioMaster (0, audioMasterVersion, 0, 0, 0, 0) != 0)
        {
            JuceVSTWrapper* const wrapper = new JuceVSTWrapper (audioMaster, 
                                                                createPluginFilter());

return wrapper->getAeffect();
        }
    }
    catch (...)
    {}

return 0;
}

__declspec(dllexport) AEffect* MAIN (audioMasterCallback audioMaster) asm("main");
AEffect* MAIN (audioMasterCallback audioMaster) { return VSTPluginMain (audioMaster); }

}[/code]

And the Makefile I’m using:

# change this to the location of your unpacked VST SDK:

LIBDIR = d:/dev/lib
VSTSDKDIR = $(LIBDIR)/vstsdk2.4
VSTPUBDIR = $(VSTSDKDIR)/public.sdk/source/vst2.x
#WRAPPERDIR = $(LIBDIR)/JuceAudioPlugin/wrapper
WRAPPERDIR = ../../wrapper

PLUGINNAME = juceTest
CPP = g++.exe

#objects
EFF_OBJS =  DemoJuceFilter.o DemoEditorComponent.o
WRAPPER_OBJS = $(WRAPPERDIR)/juce_AudioFilterBase.o $(WRAPPERDIR)/juce_AudioFilterEditor.o $(WRAPPERDIR)/formats/VST/juce_VstWrapper.o
VST_OBJS = $(VSTPUBDIR)/audioeffect.o $(VSTPUBDIR)/audioeffectx.o
OBJ = $(EFF_OBJS) $(WRAPPER_OBJS)

#includes
VST_INCS = -I"$(VSTSDKDIR)/pluginterfaces/vst2.x" -I"$(VSTSDKDIR)/public.sdk/source/vst2.x" -I"$(VSTSDKDIR)" -I.
JUCE_INCS = -I"$(LIBDIR)/juce" -I.

CXXINCS = $(VST_INCS) $(JUCE_INCS)

#libs
LIBS = -L. --add-stdcall-alias -lkernel32 -luser32 -mwindows --no-export-all-symbols --def $(PLUGINNAME).def
WIN_LIBS =  -lrpcrt4 -loleaut32 -lole32 -luuid -lwinspool -lwinmm -lshell32 -lcomctl32 -lcomdlg32 -lctl3d32 -ladvapi32 -lwsock32 -lgdi32 -lwininet -ldsound -lshell32 -lvfw32
JUCE_LIBS = -L$(LIBDIR)/juce/bin/ -ljuce

#flags
CXXFLAGS = $(CXXINCS) -DBUILDING_DLL=1 -mwindows

BIN = $(PLUGINNAME).dll

RM = rm -f

.PHONY: all clean

DLLWRAP   = dllwrap.exe
DEFFILE   = lib$(PLUGINNAME).def
STATICLIB = lib$(PLUGINNAME).a

$(BIN): $(OBJ)
	$(DLLWRAP) --output-def $(DEFFILE) --driver-name c++ --implib $(STATICLIB) $(OBJ) $(LIBS) $(JUCE_LIBS) $(WIN_LIBS) -o $(BIN)

.SUFFIXES: .o .cpp
.cpp.o :
	$(CXX) $(CXXFLAGS) -c -o $@ $<

all: $(BIN)

clean: 
	${RM} $(OBJ) $(BIN)

Can anyone spot any glaring mistakes? :shock:

Also, if anyone has got it working with dev-cpp would it be possible to have a look at the Makefile it produces?

Thanks in advance,

Sam

Did you get to the bottom of this? I’m having a similar problem. My plugin works with MiniHost, but not Cubase.

No joy yet, It also seems to work in Plugin Consultant so I’m not sure if it’s a problem with the code- everything compiles fine with no significant warnings, I’ve tested that both the MAIN function and the DllMain are being called. Does anyone know of any reasons why Live may reject a plugin that works in other hosts?

Anyone else used the gcc compiler succesfully with the framework?

Thanks,

Sam

I’ve never tried doing a plugin with gcc, but imagine there could be all sorts of quirks when trying to persuade it to export the right functions.