AU & VST Audio Plugin Demo not recognized in 1.50 on Leo

Hi all,

First, I should say that JUCE is a fantastically well-designed framework and I love using it so far! But I’ve been having some trouble with getting the audio plugin demo to work…

I’ve spent the past three days trying to get the JUCE Audio Plugin Demo to be recognized in PluginHost, AU Lab, Ableton Live, or Reaper. Everything compiles without issue, but the resulting JuceDemoPlugin.component (or renamed .vst) will not work in any host I try. In fact, the JUCE PluginHost complains that the .vst file isn’t a valid VST at all.

The steps that I’ve taken are:

[list=1]
[] Download JUCE 1.50 from SourceForge[/]
[] Extract it to my desktop[/]
[] Open extras/audio plugins/demo/build/mac/JuceDemoPlugin.xcodeproj[/]
[] (I already installed vstsdk2.4 from Steinberg in my ~/SDKs directory)[/]
[] Try to build the project.[/]
[] Everything compiles but fails upon linking in PluginLibrary[/]
[] Delete PluginLibrary.xcodeproj from the External Frameworks and Libraries Group. (This is for RTAS, right? I only want to build AU and VST.)[/]
[] Build again, this time everything goes smoothly.[/]
[] Examine the Copy Files Build Phase underneath the JuceDemoPlugin Target. It shows that JuceDemoPlugin.component is being copied into ~/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components.[/]
[]Verify that the component was successfully copied by navigating to the ~/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components directory in Finder. The component file is definitely there.[/]
[] Open up AU Lab and see if the Juce Demo Plugin shows up in the plugin list. It doesn’t.[/]
[] (I’ve also tried using auval -a in the shell, and the plugin isn’t listed.)[/]
[] Rename JuceDemoPlugin.component to JuceDemoPlugin.vst. (This should work because of the new polymorphic plugins feature, right?)[/]
[] Install the .vst file into my ~/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/JucePlugins directory. [/]
[] Open the JUCE Plug-In Host and scan the JucePlugins directory with the .vst file inside.[/]
[] Receive error Note that the following files appeared to be plugin files, but failed to load correctly: JuceDemoPlugin.vst[/][/list]

This one has me completely stumped. I’ve already built a bunch of other non-plugin apps using JUCE, and it’s an awesome framework! I apologize in advance for the long post, but I really don’t see what I’m doing wrong. Would any of the JUCE wizards here mind pointing me in the right direction? :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Matt Sonic

Also, I’ve seen this post about the same issue, but copying / deleting / renaming the file hasn’t helped. I’ve tried restarting my whole system, too.

I actually posted this very same issue earlier today: http://rawmaterialsoftware.com/juceforum/viewtopic.php?t=4418

This is probably the same thing and is an issue with the Info.plist file. Try changing the EXECUTABLE_NAME to ${EXECUTABLE_NAME}

[quote=“dave96”]I actually posted this very same issue earlier today: http://rawmaterialsoftware.com/juceforum/viewtopic.php?t=4418

This is probably the same thing and is an issue with the Info.plist file. Try changing the EXECUTABLE_NAME to ${EXECUTABLE_NAME}[/quote]

That fixed it! Wow. I can’t believe it was such a simple fix. Thank you so much. Now I can finally get back to programming :slight_smile:

How annoying - on my system, it was ${EXECUTABLE_NAME} that wasn’t working, which is why I changed it. Maybe this is something that’s changed in XCode 3.2…? Are you still on 3.1?

Hi Jules,

Thanks so much for JUCE! Yes, I’m using 3.1.2. It’s certainly time to upgrade :slight_smile:

Matt