DocumentWindow setContentOwned VST

So I have a PluginWindow derived from DocumentWindow and if I add a AudioProcessorEditor to the PluginWindow using:

setContentOwned (editor, true);

Where editor is a AudioProcessorEditor*

The plug-in editor shows up fine at all times… but if I create a simple PluginComponent class:

class PluginComponent : public Component,
                            public ComponentListener
{
 public:

PluginComponent (AudioProcessorEditor* pEditor) : m_pEditor (pEditor)
    {
        int iWidth = m_pEditor->getWidth();
        int iHeight = m_pEditor->getHeight();

setSize (iWidth, iHeight);

m_pEditor->setTopLeftPosition (0, 0);

addAndMakeVisible (m_pEditor);

m_pEditor->addComponentListener (this);
    }

~PluginComponent()
    {
        m_pEditor->removeComponentListener (this);
    }

void componentMovedOrResized (Component& component, bool wasMoved, bool wasResized) override
    {
        if (wasResized && m_pEditor == &component)
            {
            int iWidth = m_pEditor->getWidth();
            int iHeight = m_pEditor->getHeight();

setSize (iWidth, iHeight);

m_pEditor->setTopLeftPosition (0, 0);
            }
    }

void paint (Graphics& g) override
    {
        g.fillAll (Colours::red);
    }

private:

AudioProcessorEditor* m_pEditor = nullptr;

JUCE_DECLARE_NON_COPYABLE_WITH_LEAK_DETECTOR (PluginComponent);
};

and add the PluginComponent like this:

setContentOwned (new PluginComponent (editor), true);

It works fine for almost all plug-in manufacturers except one that I’ve tested… in that case the first time the Window is displayed it draws the VST2 AudioProcessorEditor, but if I close and re-open the Window the plug-in area is black.

Stepping though the code I don’t see anything wrong… and if I load a VST3 version of the plug-in it always draws correctly.

Any thoughts on why the VST2 when embedded in a “parent” Component will not repaint (for a particular plug-in)… but when not embedded in another Component paints fine?

Thanks,

Rail

I’m seeing a CVDisplayLink thread when this Manufacturer’s plug-ins are loaded… so that may be a clue??

Rail

Hmmmm that’s really strange. I can’t really see any difference between using your PluginComponent or not. Are you sure that the editor is being properly released when using your PluginComponent? Maybe you are re-creating the editor with the old one still hanging around?

No, that would occur then without the PluginComponent as well… Since it only happens with FabFilter plug-ins… they must be using some OpenGL threading which is using CVDisplayLink… which is causing a problem. I checked the pEditor values in the debugger… and they seemed fine.

I’m looking at creating my plug-in header bar using setMenuBarComponent as a kludge instead… but I don’t see a parameter in setMenuBarComponent to set newMenuBarHeight and it doesn’t get the height from the Component.

Rail

This change would be welcome :slight_smile:

void DocumentWindow::setMenuBarComponent (Component* newMenuBarComponent)
{
    menuBarHeight = newMenuBarComponent->getHeight();  //  Added this

// (call the Component method directly to avoid the assertion in ResizableWindow)
    Component::addAndMakeVisible (menuBar = newMenuBarComponent);

if (menuBar != nullptr)
        menuBar->setEnabled (isActiveWindow());

resized();
} 

This allows me to create a Toolbar Component:

class ToolbarComponent : public Component
{
 public:

ToolbarComponent (AudioProcessor* pProcessor) : m_pProcessor (pProcessor),
                                                m_BypassButton ("B")
    {
        setSize (100, 38);

m_BypassButton.setBounds (5, 5, 30, 30);

addAndMakeVisible (m_BypassButton);
    }

void paint (Graphics& g) override
    {
        g.fillAll (Colours::grey);
    }

private:

AudioProcessor* m_pProcessor;

TextButton      m_BypassButton;

JUCE_DECLARE_NON_COPYABLE_WITH_LEAK_DETECTOR (ToolbarComponent);
};

Rail

Why don’t you just use void DocumentWindow::setMenuBar (MenuBarModel* newMenuBarModel, const int newMenuBarHeight)?

I didn’t think I could use a custom Component for that using the MenuBarModel… I’ll dig in deeper… This isn’t going to really be a “menu”… but it’ll have a Preset ComboBox, and 4 buttons which I’ll use to interact directly with the AudioProcessor.

Thanks,

Rail

That won’t work for my purpose… but this small change would make sense to me:

void DocumentWindow::setMenuBarComponent (Component* newMenuBarComponent)
{
    if (menuBar == nullptr)
        menuBarHeight = newMenuBarComponent->getHeight();

// (call the Component method directly to avoid the assertion in ResizableWindow)
    Component::addAndMakeVisible (menuBar = newMenuBarComponent);

if (menuBar != nullptr)
        menuBar->setEnabled (isActiveWindow());

resized();
}

Rail

Hmmm, Jules and I don’t really like this suggestion as it’s the parent’s component responsibility to resize the menuBar component. For example, the default menuBar component has a size of zero by default. For example, I would expect the following to work:

documentWindow.setMenuBarComponent (new MenuBarComponent (myMenuBar));

But with your change the menuBarHeight would be zero (as the default height of MenuBarComponent is zero). It might be better to add a default argument to setMenuBarComponent to override the menuBarHeight?

I’d be fine with that :slight_smile:

As I mentioned… this particular use is a bit of a kludge… but I can see being able to set the height for the component would be useful anyway.

Thanks!

Rail

I’m going to bump this to see if you would still consider adding the default argument to setMenuBarComponent.

Thanks,

Rail