Don't understand Projucer Debug and Release builds in Xcode - where’s Release?

Probably a dumb question, but I can’t seem to figure out how to build the Release version.

By way of example, I created a new GUI app Projucer project. in the Xcode export settings, I gave the default Debug and Release build configurations different names for the binary:

NewProjectDB
NewProject

After opening in Xcode, there is only one target “NewProject - App”. Building this creates the Debug Binary, but not the Release Binary:

Screen Shot 2020-08-03 at 2.17.34 PM

I played around with the Edit Scheme settings but I cannot seem to figure out how to get this to create the Release build and Binary, or to do them both at the same time. Thanks!

I don’t spend much time in XCode, so I suspect there is a better way than this, but I select Build For Profiling from the Product menu (or Build For Running to get the Debug)

3 Likes

Unless I am misunderstanding, I think you just need to click where it says NewProject - App and choose Release for build configuration.

1 Like

Using Build For Profiling is how I always do it, too. (Pre-JUCE, I sometimes made Schemes that changed all the build Configurations to Debug or Release, regardless of which “Build For…” method was chosen.)

1 Like

You should be able to select the Debug/Release configurations if you go to the Scheme submenu inside the Product menu.

1 Like

Thanks for that, everyone!

Not in Xcode, at least in my JUCE-base projects. The Schemes generated are all the project name followed by the type of plug-in generated, such as “My Plugin - VST3”, and you then either just Build (Command+B) for Debug, or select “Build For Profiling” for Release.

Ah, you’re right. I accidentally left out a step: you have to select “Edit Schemes” from the Scheme submenu and then you can switch between the build configurations. This at least works with the GUI and plug-in projects I’ve worked with.

I got what you meant anyway. :slight_smile: