Font Rendering

Using a TTF font in JUCE: 

The left hand side is my computer (latest Mavericks).  The right hand side someone elses (10.6.8). 

I'm doing:

tfLabel = Typeface::createSystemTypefaceFor(BinaryData::RobotoThin_ttf, BinaryData::RobotoThin_ttfSize)

Then: 

Font textFont = Font(laf->tfLabel).withHeight(17.0);

g.setFont(textFont);

Any obvious idea why one of them looks rubbish?

Is yours a retina display? Which rendering engine are you using? 

Not retina and mmm, what ever the default is.

Seems to also be affecting the system font although more subtle as its' wider (look at Level and Time).

What are the screen resolutions of each system?

Rail

The good one is on a 30" cinema at 2560 × 1600.  But it also looks good on my MacBook Air (non-retina) 1440x900.

I'll find out what Oli was using for the rough looking ones. (The answer is 1920x1200). 

It's not a consistent problem either.  It's gone away today apparently with the same binary on the same system.  Another test system has also produced the problem though... 

I'm collecting some more data...

Okay, so I'm completely stumped.  Let me try the easy question - has anyone ever seen this problem before? :)

Sorry, no idea - the one on the right doesn't look like OSX rendering, or the juce software renderer. Maybe something odd about 10.6, but I've not seen it before.

Just a thought, is this a plugin? Are you both usng the same host/version?

Dave - just getting into this question.  Might be Logic X related...

Ok - looks like it is.  Why does it look different in Logic? I'd assumed, naively, that it'd render the same in different hosts on the same system...

Add 

CGContextSetAllowsFontSmoothing(context, true);

just below

CGContextSetShouldSmoothFonts (context, true);

in

CoreGraphicsContext juce constructor

Wow.. So they have three similar-but-not-quite-the-same methods for disabling anti-aliasing..?? Nasty.

Thanks for the heads-up on that, I'll add that to the code. So now we have to do all this crap:

CGContextSetShouldSmoothFonts (context, true);

CGContextSetAllowsFontSmoothing (context, true);

CGContextSetShouldAntialias (context, true);

..just to have anti-aliased font rendering!

I do hope that makes things look HOT in logic again ... :)