FR: iOS custom file type open handler

@lukasz.k, @tpoole

Hi,

It would be great, if JUCE would include the ability to handle opening of custom file types from another app on iOS. Here’s a setup guide.

Attached is a slapped together patch that achieves that - kindly provided under the WTFPL.

iOS-custom-file-tyoe-handler.cpp (3.4 KB)

Thanks.

Hi, you can use the custom plist entry in Projucer for this.

e.g, the following allows prs extensions to be used:

Yes, I know. But if a user clicks a file in the iOS file browser (I don’t mean the JUCE native file chooser, but the separate app), there’s currently no way find get access to this file in JUCE (AFAIK).

This patch is useful if you get a file via e-mail and want to open it in your app via a simple click.

Just a status update, as you mentioned this thread from another conversation: Looking at this patch has gone into our backlog, but it’s not particularly high priority so no promises when we’ll get round to it.

1 Like

I found this topic when I’m looking for a solution to open file from other apps on iOS.

I really like the suggested solution. Opening file sent from other apps is very fundamental thing on iOS, can you prioritize this?

Note that application:openURL has been deprecated so need to use application:openURL:options:.

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/uikit/uiapplicationdelegate/1623112-application?language=objc

1 Like

bump! this is crucial for my IOS application that i’m building at the moment

i just got this working locally (thanks @PixelPacker) and i wanted to share a few findings.

first, to get around the deprecated method warning that shows up you can change the openURL declaration from the patch to this:

- (BOOL) application:(UIApplication *)application openURL:(NSURL *)
       url options:(NSDictionary<UIApplicationOpenURLOptionsKey, id> *)options

second, because of how reading private files works in ios (and how this patch is implemented) this approach will not work:

void urlOpened(const juce::URL &url) override {
  // get a File from the URL
  juce::File file = url.getLocalFile();
  // this will be false!
  file.existsAsFile(); 
  // this will fail too because the file is inaccessible 
  doSomething(file); 

but this will work:

// create an InputStream
  auto input = url.createInputStream(juce::URL::InputStreamOptions(juce::URL::ParameterHandling::inAddress));
  // now read from the InputStream 
  auto data = input.readEntireStreamAsString(); 
  // this will be false
  data.isEmpty(); 
  // now you can do something with the data

hopefully this helps save someone else some time.

It seems like this patch (or something implementing a similar solution) still hasn’t been applied. Is there any pointer on how to handle opening files from within iOS’ file browser?

the current version of the patch i’m using is here:

and then i have this code in StandaloneApp.cpp:

#if JucePlugin_Build_Standalone && JUCE_IOS

// we have to read our url as an InputStream, otherwise
    // we won't have access to the underlying bookmark data.
    auto is = url.createInputStream(
        juce::URL::InputStreamOptions(juce::URL::ParameterHandling::inAddress));

// so we read from the url and write to a temp file
    // with the same extension.
    auto tmp = juce::TemporaryFile(url.getLocalFile().getFileExtension());
    auto tmpFile = tmp.getFile();
    auto os = juce::FileOutputStream(tmpFile);
    os.writeFromInputStream(*is, -1);

// call flush so the file is readable!
    os.flush();

// and now we can do something with our tmpFile
    doSomething(tmpFile);
    // note that our tmpFile will be cleaned up by going out
    // of scope.
  }

#endif

i also had to setup CFBundleDocumentTypes and UTExportedTypeDeclarations for the new filetypes/extensions i was adding - the setup guide from the OP does a good job of explaining this iirc.

4 Likes

It’s amazing to me that this still hasn’t been added to JUCE. It’s pretty much essential if you want your standalone plugin to be able to interact with the iOS Files app.

1 Like

@modosc I’ve made a PR for this here, fwiw: Support for custom file formats in ios files app by dhilowitz · Pull Request #1036 · juce-framework/JUCE · GitHub

9 Likes

Great! Thanks a lot for sharing.

Since we are on the topic of iOS and files: there’s also no JUCE method to open audio files from the user’s music collection.

Has anybody here put something together to access the user’s music library?

That would also be very useful!

Thank you so much! It did save me a ton of time.

1 Like

Hey @modosc @dhilowitz @PixelPacker and @leehu
Many thanks to everyone for sharing this info. With a combination of the above I managed to get this working nicely at my end too. :slight_smile: So cool!

However, I’m a little puzzled as to why this hasn’t been rolled into JUCE proper. Is there somewhere I can vote towards getting the pull request rolled in?

2 Likes