FreeBSD support

Did anyone try to use Juce on FreeBSD yet ?

I guess it should work as well as on linux isn’t it ?

It should… gcc is for freebsd too, no? Even if it didn’t freebsd can run linux binaries so either way you should be fine.

one day i’m gonna download a linux setup and ruddy well install it.

any recommendations? the last time i tried (one of the agnula versions) i had some ridiculous cyclical q&a on some pre-boot commandline style installer… went on for fucking hours going round in circles and i just gave up.

i’d love to have a nice linux dev partition…

I’d recommend Ubuntu, it’s a joy to use. You might want to wait until june when the next version comes out before downloading though.

These days I’ve been using VMWare to run Ubuntu - mcuh easier than actually installing it!

So did nobody tried to compile Juce on freeBSD, NetBSD or OpenBSD ?

I just would like to make my app run on a system as light and customizable as possible, I installed a Debian but it’s really messy and full of stuff I don’t need.

I was used to NetBSD like five years ago, I liked it because it was a really small, nice and robust, althought the pthreads implementation were really a pain to use. Don’t know if it’s still the case.

[quote=“haydxn”]
any recommendations? the last time i tried (one of the agnula versions) i had some ridiculous cyclical q&a on some pre-boot commandline style installer… [/quote]

SuSE 10 is currently my favourite, if only 'cos it is the first distro that managed to work with my laptop’s wireless nic without a week of headscratching on my behalf.

[quote=“thomas”]So did nobody tried to compile Juce on freeBSD, NetBSD or OpenBSD ?

I just would like to make my app run on a system as light and customizable as possible, I installed a Debian but it’s really messy and full of stuff I don’t need.

I was used to NetBSD like five years ago, I liked it because it was a really small, nice and robust, althought the pthreads implementation were really a pain to use. Don’t know if it’s still the case.[/quote]

Have you given Gentoo a go? It’s a great streamlined “from source” distro that gives you complete control. IIRC the developer that started it came from BSD and the package management system is similar to the bsd ports.

Ok, that sounds good to me, I’ll give it a try then

I’ll be trying juce on solaris soon. sun claim it’s 100% source compatible with linux so should work.

I used Suse a bit, use FreeBSD 6 for my server (thinking of going back to 4, don’t ask). DesktopBSD.net I use for main testing stuff, it uses FreeBSD 5 currently.