Hi! Reverb plugin?

Hi,

I'm new here. I want to create a reverb plugin but I have no idea what to do. I've no problem with maths, I just don't know how to translate my algorithm to lines of code.

Where do I start? Unfortunately, there are no courses in my college to learn this and apparently there aren't any online, too. If someone can give me lessons on how to create my reverb plugin, that is also an option. I'll need to check out any plugins you've done before.

Thanks,

Miguel Batalha

Have you made any other kinds of effects in C++, or even another language or environment like Reaktor, Max/MSP, etc.? If not, you should probably start simpler. I would at least start by programming some filters and delay lines first, so you can get the hang of implementing algorithms. Perhaps making some comb filters and diffuser delays will help for reverb. After you understand that, it shouldn't be too hard to implement some algorithmic reverb algorithms. 

There's an interesting thread about the topic here: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/geekslutz-forum/380233-reverb-subculture.html

Cool thread! Thanks for posting that! I mostly learned about the inner workings of some reverbs by studying other people's work in Reaktor. It's really neat how they work. You really have to know how to make up the small pieces of it first and use those together in a clever way to get a good sounding reverb. I ended up making like one decent sounding reverb, but not good by any means. They're a hard thing to get right! I need to experiment with that more since I know a lot more now then when I tried. 

You're welcome! Artifical reverberation is definitely a very interesting topic... :) Good luck with your further experiments.

Best,

Stian

Hey check out the link below and look in the "Artificial Reverb" section. There's a section called "Freeverb" where it discusses the Freeverb reverb. It shows some C++ code for it too. This may help you understand how to implement a reverb in C++. I could be wrong, but I think JUCE's Reverb is based on the Freeverb design. There's a lot of other info on reverb techniques there too. I recommend looking at other things that CCRMA has on there site too. It's a wealth  of DSP information. 

https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~jos/pasp/pasp.html