Homebar on new iPad Pro 3rd Gen

Hi, whilst I don’t have one and have only been testing on the sim, feedback from users say that on most apps the homebar fades out and disappears after a few seconds. Is this supported in Juce? By homebar I’m referring to the bar at the bottom of the screen that can be dragged to reveal the dock:

Additional feedback from a user indicates there are large black borders down the left and right hand sides of the screen:

thx

1 Like

So it looks like the new iPad Pro resolutions aren’t supported when using static launch images (which is what we add to iOS projects when re-saving in the Projucer) and we need to use a launch image storyboard instead.

I’ve pushed this commit which will add a default blank storyboard if no custom xcassets are specified, and also a field in the iOS exporter where you can specify the name of a custom storyboard you want to use (this file needs to be added as an Xcode resource in the project). This should mean that your app supports the latest resolutions and won’t have those black bars surrounding it.

2 Likes

cheers ed - will give it a go

ok, that seems to have worked for the black bars (on the sim anyway - will feedback from users who actually have one).

any thoughts on the home bar hiding?

hi ed, sorry to hassle, but any eta on the homebar hiding? Need to know what to tell customers with the new iPads as to when this will be addressed, or come up with a different way of dealing with it. thx

I’m not sure what you mean. If I pull up the home bar on e.g. Safari then it persists unless I give the app focus by tapping on it and the JUCE DemoRunner does the same, I can’t see the fading out behaviour that you mentioned. I’m running this is the sim though as I don’t have access to a 3rd gen iPad Pro - is this only on physical devices?

not sure - I don’t have one either, but feedback from a customer says that the home bar does fade out on his hardware - i’ll get back to him and confirm.

as for the storyboard fix, it does work on the sim but get this error when uploading to appstore:

FYI, i’m using the default settings and haven’t provided my own.

If I try to grab the slider here at the bottom then I grab the homebar instead. I can grab further up ok.

It doesn’t make sense for this to be ever present?? Seems like I need to leave a space at the bottom of my UI?

It’s there on Safari too, I don’t think this is anything we’re doing in JUCE specifically.

I’ll get the storyboard issue sorted.

Re-reading his email it says “it’s possible to do this”, so maybe Safari doesn’t? I’ve asked him for some example apps.

This should fix the storyboard filename issue:

thanks - that’s uploaded.

as for the other point, the customer says that AUM hides the homebar

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b2i44mrrcqm1aec/aum_homebar.MOV?dl=0

It looks like apps can call prefersStatusBarHidden to achieve this but looking through the iOS peer code we already do this if the app is put into kiosk mode, so you can call Desktop::getInstance().setKioskModeComponent() for your main component and the status bar should be hidden.

2 Likes

Hi Ed. Thanks for the info. I’ll check that out!

Hi, I have JUCE_STANDALONE_FILTER_WINDOW_USE_KIOSK_MODE defined which causes this to get called, so that doesn’t appear to be working.

It’s actually prefersHomeIndicatorAutoHidden, as this works:

- (BOOL) prefersHomeIndicatorAutoHidden
{
    return true;
}

So I guess we just need someway of making this configurable.

Ah yeah, thanks. I’ll add that.

1 Like