Indie devs - any advice for a new guy?

Not a bad idea. I don’t love the thought of having to implement that in my website but I’ll consider it for future work!

Not audio-specific, but the community at https://www.indiehackers.com is supportive and brings a wide variety of experience from successes/failures that’s worth reading.

2 Likes

Seems very optimistic without a solid marketing plan / budget. If it’s a basic synth, why is anybody going to buy it over what comes with their DAW or Serum / Massive / Nexus / Sylenth1? You probably need to target a specific niche or genre, but then your market is smaller. By my rough estimate there are at least 1700 paid VST synths on KVR, it’s a tough market to break into and it takes time to build your reputation.

1 Like

@TeotiGraphix
Ever consider monetizing with AdMob? Android users don’t buy apps. I bet if you ported the engine from Caustic to pure JUCE and built an iOS version, you’d see lots of sales. but for Android, Ads are probably the better choice with a pay-to-remove-ads in-app purchase. just my uneducated opinion, tho.

Having a look at your Twitter, I can see you’ve just started things up, but here are a few things that may help:

1. Your story- It’s important to show people who you are and what you’re about. As an indie developer, you’ve put in a work ethic and face certain challenges that are unique to you. We want to hear your story.

2. Your product- Your plug-in looks great, but what are the tangible benefits that I’ll get from your product? 48 eq filters…ok great, but does that mean cleaner sound? Does it mean an eq that has character? Show the real-world benefit of purchasing your product.

Also, people tend to associate higher price with a product that is “better.” It’s important to have a price that correlates with what you’re offering. If you want to establish your plug-in company as making damn good plug-ins, you might want to look at raising your price. If you’d like to focus on building relationships and get people to just try your product, I would give it away and try to build from there by, for example, asking users to write reviews of how great your eq is.

I hope that helps!

5 Likes

That’s great advice, thanks. I definitely need to get better with my social media presence!

We’ve just launched our developer portal with a couple of initiatives to try and help new (and existing) companies.

Firstly, if you have your own website, auth system, marketing etc. in place, we’ve got the “Verified by pluginval” scheme to help promote plugins that strive for well tested code.

Send us some verified log files and we’ll add you to the page to advertise this.

Secondly, if you’re a bit earlier in the development cycle but have great ideas for plugins and want to focus on the code we have the (“Tracktion Presents”)[https://www.tracktion.com/develop/plugin-developers] distribution partnership.

“Presents” works like a record label, we’re building a community of like-minded developers and taking care of all the tasks beyond the code. We handle downloads, account systems, registrations and authorisations, email blasts, marketing etc. so you can focus on the code.

Hopefully this means more developers can get their products to market quicker and not get lost in the competition when they’re there.

7 Likes

I think the simplest way to get some attention is to create a free plugin that’s maybe a part of your main plugin. You could make one just with the spectrum analyzer without the eq(or just the low cut) for free. I would use it too :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow, these look amazing! I’ll be sure to follow them up!

I do have a trial version but I may have removed too many features…

Not many people install a limited trial also if the trial never ends. There is always the feeling that you don’t own the plugin.

It’s a completely different thing if you offer another free plugin (for example a sprectrum analyzer plugin).

Just wanted to chime in to say @dave96 that’s amazing, thank you! I strongly support what you’re doing to help new companies :pray: :pray:

1 Like

Thanks!

It’s pretty huge here now and has been for the last 2-3 years. We notice a huge drop in sales for the 2-4 weeks before stupid sale weekend.

Hi Dave - where are the details on this such as %age splits, contract details etc?

2 Likes

Hi @leehu, our standard split is 70/30 but it could vary depending on circumstances.
Every partnership is different when it comes to this sort of thing so if it sounds interesting, the best thing to do is get in contact so we can have a chat about it.
Hope that helps.

1 Like