Introjucer unusable [only in Arch Linux/i3 Window manager]

juce 1.53
Arch Linux
"i3" tiling window manager

Introjucer opens as one window with a menubar and a large empty area. It also opens four completely black windows. Any attempt to open a menu from the menubar leads to some flickering and nothing else. I guess it attempts to open a new ‘menu window’ which closes immediately.

Is juce usable without the introjucer and similar tools?
Given the issues I had so far with building and the demo apps, should I go on and use juce for my project or better switch to something else?

I’ve edited your title there, just in case it gives the wrong impression to the 99.99% of users who don’t use i3, and for whom the introjucer will work just fine…

I tried the git modules branch.
It works better, the previously described issues are gone.
What I see now is a module update window.
Even when I point it to a place with modules it tends to die rather horribly while part of it keeps hanging around.
I think this is described in some other thread as well, but since this is not a proper bug tracker I couldn’t find it again.
Here’s the output:

$ Introjucer
JUCE v2.0.14
which: no zenity in (/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/bin/vendor_perl:/usr/bin/core_perl)
ERROR: X returned BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes) for operation X_ConfigureWindow
ERROR: X returned BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes) for operation X_ConfigureWindow
JUCE Assertion failure in …/…/…/…/modules/juce_core/threads/juce_Thread.cpp, line 256
!! killing thread by force !!

A window that told me it couldn’t connect to the website appeared once after a rather random amount of time.

The
lines happen when I open the file chooser (separate window, changes size of each window due to tiling). They are not fatal.
The crash happens after I pressed the update button and waited a few seconds.

Sorry, but I really can’t promise to do anything about this weird window manager of yours… Since I’ve never even heard of it, I guess it must be incredibly niche, and since it’d take me at least few hours to find/download/install/configure/test/debug it, it wouldn’t be an efficient use of my time.

If you can debug it yourself and point out anything that my code seems to be doing wrong, I’d be happy to discuss that, but reporting this stuff as a “bug” and waiting for me to fix it is probably optimistic, I’m afraid!

The X stuff is no problem, those errors happen all over the place when you use a tiling WM, but probably also with others.

I took the time to find the other thread that mentioned the crash problem: http://www.rawmaterialsoftware.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8228
I doubt the other users who expereinced that have the same system setup, so this is a more general problem.

Anyway, on my setup Introjucer from 1.53 is unusable, from git modules it is usable if you ignore the module update thing, but why would I use that anyway when building from git, so no big deal until there is a release based on the modules branch.