iOS 9, Audio Unit extension

Hi all,

Don't know if everyone's aware, but iOS9 will support support some kind of plug-in format (called Audio Unit extension), and as I understand things ordinary Audio Units and these extensions for iOS can be sold on the app store. I guess there will be an update of the AU (osx) format etc. What do you other peeps here think about all this?

"The Audio Unit extension point allows your app to provide musical instruments, audio effects, sound generators, and more for use within apps like GarageBand, Logic, and other Audio Unit host apps. The extension point also brings a full audio plug-in model to iOS and lets you sell Audio Units on the App Store."

https://developer.apple.com/library/prerelease/ios/releasenotes/General/WhatsNewIniOS/Articles/iOS9.html

My thoughts:

This is kind of huge for us because we're releasing all our effect plug-ins for iOS and Mac/PC. Since our iOS-apps supports Audiobus, Inter app Audio and has a bunch of "extra"-features that is pointless in a AU/VST plug-in we're not using Juce for those, but with a proper plug-in format for iOS it would be really interesting to be able to use the exact same code base for all platforms.

Yes - we're obviously aware of this (I'm at WWDC this week and they have presentations about it today). It'll certainly be something we want to make juce compatible with if possible!

Hey jules,

Do you have any new information about app extensions and juce?

Will it be suppported in the near future?

We'll certainly support the new AudioUnit stuff - not sure when, maybe for our V4 release.

Hey, anything new regarding the AudioUnit stuff?

Work in progress. Should be something to see within a couple of weeks.

Super fast response. Thanks yes

Was there any update on v4.3. Does it support Audio Unit Extensions?

You can build AudioUnit V3 plug-ins with the latest version of JUCE.