Juce Cookbook Idea

When I revamped the website, I looked at integrating drupal or wordpress with the existing phpbb forum, but it was just too messy, and I gave up…

I dunno about wordpress but I already integrated Tikiwiki with phpbb quite easily (you have to install them on 2 separate DBs, and hack the login php pages so they point to the same “users” table on the same DB).

That’s a cool idea with the class tags, Vishvesh.

If it’s hosted on rawmaterialsoftware.com, my vote is to have the same level of visibility on the links as the Forum (not hidden inside of the forums) - this way it will be more visible and have more usage. I think it should be a discrete section and not hidden inside of another feature, like the Forums.

I definitely think having the same user DB store would be preferred over two separate credentials.

Thanks puckhead and I also agree with you in terms of visibility. Next to forum have an option “Codes and Examples”.

Jules, it’s ok to give up sometimes. It aint easy walking away, but it needs to be done to maintain sanity.

I had a browse through the moddb section of phpbb, which was painful for a) the lack of what I wanted b) just trying to sift through the site in general. I found a wp plugin which claims to make phpbb credentials work in wordpress, only to screw up the wordpress install :roll: .

Has anyone got any other ideas of what they’d like it to look like (what package, more so than what colours)? We’ve had Trac and TikiWiki mentioned, or we could just start another board up within this phpBB setup (I reckon haydxn’s tutorial bit should get pinched to get it started).

I think we have a fairly good shared understanding about the sorts of content, but the ideas about implementing it seem a little vague.

I’m not sure what the differences are between one wiki and the next is, but MediaWiki doesn’t seem to let me extract multiple articles with one theme (to hook up to Doxy docs). That said, using a wiki would only really allow for one GlowEffect article, where all GlowEffect related things would accumulate, where as a blog engine would have multiple articles on different uses of GlowEffect (poor example class, perhaps) which could then be extracted. The MediaWiki API allows for page finding, but not really subsection extraction (“GlowEffect in popular culture”) as there is no common format. I imagine the other wiki to be similar.

Bulletin boards don’t seem to have an explicit ranking system per thread, although the most active/most viewed tend to float to the top, and that is a fairly good indicator. There might be some good mods available, but many of the mods I saw in the list were a little pointless in our case. Enabling people to enter their church affiliations in their profile, preventing people from pm-ing themselves etc.

We can tweak ranking/css later. I think we need more focus on execution before puckhead’s idea gets too big and difficult to implement.

Thanks Assembler. I’ll defer to your lead and the others on the actual package implementation. I do have 3-4 sample apps ready to submit, whenever we get this thing up and running. Agree that “app rankings” is not an essential feature - although it would be nice down the line. I’d like to let this “Sample Apps or Cookbook code” be fairly generic, in order to allow it flexibility to grow.

Sorry I’ve been elsewhere for a bit, um…

I’m happy to host a cookbook, and either host an altered version of the doxy docs, or to build something a bit smoother that could wrap an iframe around the doxy docs and then inject some javascript around it (may not be possible because of the security model, not quite sure). The only downside to this is the double credentials stuff, and it seems like a fairly large hassle to work around.

When there is enough momentum / content, then it may well be worth looking into merging the two lots of data, but until we reach that point, it doesn’t seem worth the effort.

I would happy to provide access for those who ask, and I think it should be a manual process as I’d be allowing people to edit each others material.

I think if we were to review the whole lot in… 6 months? We could see whether we should scrap the lot and put the generated material into this BBS, leave it as is, or look again at merging some stuff.

If we leave it for 6 months, then maybe someone else might figure out a good way to mash up the systems we currently have in mind that we could hijack.

Jules, puckhead, you’re the main stake holders, I will wait for a green light from the both of you.

Thanks. It’s really the decision of Jules.

It all sounds good, but I have very little time/brainspace to offer to it!

But I’ll tidy up and post my doxygen scripts soon, so that might be of use…

Assembler, sounds like we are a go. I like giving it a test drive for 6 months, and then discussing further. I’m in the middle of a juce app right now, and as soon as I finish, I’ll ask you to set up a login for me, so I can post. Should all of the apps be posted under one category or can you have separate categories or themes for the apps - for example, audio, video, text processing, etc? Also, with the class tags idea, can we have apps be standalone sample apps but also where the user can add a tag to reference back to a class? So the user has some flexibility and isn’t forced to add a class tag. Another idea - a user could potentially search for sample apps based on a specific class implementation example? However you want to go about implementing this.

Jules, don’t worry too much about tidying up scripts… I was going to use the pages as is, as long as the html structure doesn’t change, then I should be able to parse them with JQuery to get the function names to cross reference with wordpress tags. If you update them and I have injected the javascript through an iframe, then you’d just have to overwrite them. If I can’t do it through an iframe, I might ask you to add a few lines in the header.

Puckhead… yes? I think we can accommodate those things?
With Wordpress, there are categories and tag/keywords which are manually selected for each article, and both can be created on the fly (you don’t have to choose them up front).

To cross-reference the doxy docs, I would use the tags to search for posts, so the tags would be mostly Class::Member sorts of things, with the tag being chosen to reflect the focus of the post (so you wouldn’t include all the TextButton/OwnedArray/AudioDeviceSelectorComponent if your example was about setting up AudioProcessorGraph connections, even though they may feature in the code), and then another tag to reflect the size of the post (function, class, app?), so I could, while cross referencing the doxy stuff, present the shorter articles alongside the docs, and provide links to the longer posts.

I hadn’t planned anything at all with the categories, but using them to split up types of application (both senses of the word) seems to make sense.

If in the process, people can split out classes of their program which are a little less common and write them up, that would be good, and for those areas that are more common (listener callbacks, anyone?) there could be some level of discussion (which should probably just link back to a forum thread). More than anything, personally I’d like to have people looking at/using my code and then suggesting areas for improvement, because other than telling my colleague about how to loop through arrays and do stuff with functions, I don’t really get to work collaboratively with others, and I got into programming because it’s fun learning how to do new things, not to drink coffee, get fat and turn pasty white from lack of sunlight.

http://jucecookbook.assemblism.com/doxypress/#classAudioProcessorGraph.html
http://jucecookbook.assemblism.com/doxypress/
http://jucecookbook.assemblism.com/

Well, that’s kind of enough for a little while, I think. the doxypress stuff reads in the doxy docs (which are also on my domain at the moment, I had some cross domain issue that I couldn’t be bothered with immediately) and looks for class::member tags when it gets to the class pages, so not at the index pages. Obviously there is very little content, so only the AudioProcessorGraph page has any sample code being thrown into it. And it does so in a fugly manner. I might use scriptaculous to make it all fold away neatly, and the float right business needs a little bit of works as well (CSS, :roll: ).
I have only looked at it on Firefox, because firefox has firebug and other good web dev bits, and seeing as this is a cross platform library, firefox should be ok, right? I managed to get script highlighting to work on the snippets as well, which is kind of exciting.

Using JQuery to drag in each DoxyHTML is potentially a good idea because then I don’t have to change other files, I can just overwrite the existing ones, but the anchors on the page (when it refers to another method on the same class in particular) are a little screwy at best.

If you have a look at the addConnection part, the pop out code has another link on the bottom of it, which goes to a different article than the one above. I used the wordpress categories to differentiate which should be displayed and which should be linked to (admittedly the one displayed is way to big). It might work out better to have larger examples down the bottom, and have only really short (~5 lines?) snippets per member, and then larger ones on a class basis. As my 87 years of experience informs me, class members are usually not used in isolation from fellow class members.

Jules, or anyone else out there with experience: Doxygen, does that only spit out html? or can it do XML? and if so, can clever things be done with it? or is it a case by case scenario and in this case I’ll just be wasting time with a 20mb xml file?

Oh, and please, by all means, if you want in, PM me and I will let you on. I think I might differentiate levels of access according to an arbitrary number of posts.

(this thread should be stickied temporarily? no? ok.)

Great start! I can’t wait to get a login and start playing with this. Just need to finish my media player plugin Juce app first!

:smiley:

Excellent! Checked out your page, Looks like its going to be great! Even passed the link around in anticipation :wink: I’m coming from Iplug so, I’m hungry for anything to do with Juce!

~Rob

Good idea, you’re welcome to this if it helps:
http://www.njames.co.uk/download/juceMenuEg/readme.txt.html

Download a zip of the source from
http://www.njames.co.uk/download/juceMenuEg/juceMenuEg.zip