Juce DEMO network connectivity on Samsung Galaxy S3

I am running the Juce DEMO on a Samsung Galaxy S3 (Android 4.1.2) and the HTTP and Web Browser demos do not work, ie. there is no evidence of data download. I do have connectivity on the device, ie. the OEM web browser works.  Is anyone else experiencing similar issues ?  Are there new permissions that need to be configured or is the code in need of modification for it work on S3 (4.1.2) ?  I have installed the same exact build on an older HTC device running 2.3.4 and network connectivity works as expected.    

Just ran the Juce demo (HTTP) on an emulator running Android 4.3 with the same results, ie. no network download

Yeah, it's probably some kind of permission that you need to set in the manifest - if it worked in 2.3.4 then it's probably some new restrictions they've added since then.

createHTTPStream() was failing silently with a NetworkOnMainThreadException.  As of Honeycomb SDK, networking on the main thread is no longer allowed.  A temporary fix is to insert the following into the onCreate() method 

StrictMode.ThreadPolicy policy = new StrictMode.ThreadPolicy.Builder().permitAll().build();
        StrictMode.setThreadPolicy(policy);

However this is discouraged in favor of using background threads.  See http://stackoverflow.com/questions/19266553/android-caused-by-android-os-networkonmainthreadexception

Thanks - I'll add an assertion to catch any attempts to do that on the message thread.