JUCE & THE PLUGIN BUSINESS. QUESTIONS? PLEASE HELP! : )

YO JUCE how are you?! :raised_hands:
I’ve been told so many different things. I can’t wait to create with JUCE. There’s so much information when it comes to development/coding etc. BUT nothing CLEAR on the business side. So I need to clear my mind lol. I figure here I’d get a straight forward answer… You have no idea how much I’d appreciate an answer Lol : )

When it comes to the “Business Side of things”. With the purchase of INDIE/PRO after the development of my plugin.

• Am I free to “sell” the plugin without any interference?

• Do I have to share my code on my website for the consumers?

• Are there any licenses I need to purchase before selling?

• Do I need to share any type of information with “JUCE”?

• In combination with JUCE using “Visual Studio Community OR Code Blocks” does this change things for me when it comes to selling to consumers?

• VST3 sdk (Steinberg)… Do I owe these guys anything? info? code?

• :sweat_smile: Ok LAST Question. Do I even need to use VS Community/CodeBlocks… with JUCE? Can I use JUCE alone to develop a plugin?

:crazy_face: Sorry for all the questions but I’ve :male_detective: searched far and wide for this info and no one seems to know. Thanks for your help! :100:

Welcome!

The different license models are explained here:
https://shop.juce.com/get-juce

Only if you use the GPL version (missing on that page), you have to publish your own code.
Using the GPL version is free of charge and you don’t have any obligaton about adding a splash screen etc. (afaik, please correct me if I’m wrong here)

1. Am I free to “sell” the plugin without any interference?

Yes, satisfying the license is enough (i.e. in case of personal license keeping the splashscreen “Made with JUCE” and keeping the analytics), if you have less than 50k US$ funding for your company/for yourself

1. Do I have to share my code on my website for the consumers?

No, only when using the GPL license, see above

1. Are there any licenses I need to purchase before selling?

Only, if you use any other 3rd party code. But none of that is necessary to write and sell plugins.

1. Do I need to share any type of information with “JUCE”?

Only when using the personal license (which is free of charge), in which case a built in analytics is sending usage data to JUCE / GA

1. In combination with JUCE using “Visual Studio Community OR Code Blocks” does this change things for me when it comes to selling to consumers?

No, that is completely unrelated.

1. VST3 sdk (Steinberg)… Do I owe these guys anything? info? code?

No, but you should get the license agreement from the steinberg page, sign it and send it to them. They will return it countersigned. That was handled relatively relaxed before the move from VST2 to VST3, but that showed, that it is in your interest to get their signature.

1. :sweat_smile: Ok LAST Question. Do I even need to use VS Community/CodeBlocks… with JUCE? Can I use JUCE alone to develop a plugin?

The Projucer has a compiler built in, but it never worked to compile plugins. Best to use your favourite IDE, for a start XCode and VS community…

2 Likes

YO Daniel thanks by the ton! I really appreciate all that you shared. :100:

You can find the JUCE 5 End User License Agreement here: https://juce.com/juce-5-license