Licensing

Jules. For the sake of clarity, would you consider calling the public license JUCE GPL or something similar?

Or just point out somewhere that you allow intermixing with the VST SDK, but users should be alert to the fact that not all GPL code does that?

(The issue popped up on KvR again: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=127155 )

Well I don’t really want to have to complicate my licence just to incorporate Steinberg’s odd licensing.

I’ve always said it’s fine that people can mix open-source Juce with the VST code; I guess I should probably put something up on the website to that effect.

Yes, It doesn’t take alot. There’s basically two points to it:

A) I want something to point to if someone requests the VST SDK from me, under the GPL in order to compile roid. Unlikely for sure, but never the less…

B) People need to be aware of the potential conflict if they mix in other GPL stuff, from less forgiving copyright holders. The exception does infact break GPL compatability if one chooses to use the VST SDK.

I think it might be worth it, to keep the subject from comming up when JUCE is mentioned on KvR/Dev if nothing else.

Sorry if I am being annoying. :smiley:

Hmm, I thought the GPL allows this, although it frowns upon it:

Can I write free software that uses non-free libraries?

Technically, you could be in compliance with the GPL when linking with the VST headers just by providing the download link to the VST SDK (or at least to the license agreement page) since this provides the source code. And since the ASIO routines are actually part of the sound card driver, it falls under the special exception for major components of the OS.

• kbj

Personally I’ve never been big on the gpl, too restrictive. I like BSD style best for projects like that, of course the Boost license is my all time favorate. :slight_smile:

Sorry for bumping this again...

Well I don't really want to have to complicate my licence just to incorporate Steinberg's odd licensing.

I've always said it's fine that people can mix open-source Juce with the VST code; I guess I should probably put something up on the website to that effect.

You as the author of JUCE are ok with somebody releasing a binary version of a Juce powered VST plugin without releasing that part of the sourcecode which belongs to the VST(3) SDK?

I.e. you would accept an exception to GPL for juce regarding linking against the VST SDK like described here http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLIncompatibleLibs?

I would be glad if you could confirm that (again, as of 2015...).

I´m sorry to bother you. I´m not a GPL expert or smartass. Its just about not getting in trouble... I totally accept if you don´t want to invest any of your time clarifying this.