Linker Error with MSBuild

Hey all,

I need to compile a plugin project through MSBuild because this is part of our workflow.
I built a build.bat file which I open in Developer Command Prompt for VS2017

First I build the Projucer

SET PROJUCER_PROJECT_PATH="%PROJ_DIR%\Name.jucer"

SET VS2017_PROJECT_PATH="..\Builds\VisualStudio2017\Name.sln"

MSBuild /m "..\Submodules\JUCE\extras\Projucer\Builds\VisualStudio2017\Projucer.sln" /p:Configuration=Release /p:Platform=X64  /t:Build

SET PROJUCER_PATH=..\Submodules\JUCE\extras\Projucer\Builds\VisualStudio2017\x64\Release\App\Projucer.exe

MSBuild /m %VS2017_PROJECT_PATH% /p:Configuration=Release /p:Platform=X64  /t:Clean,Build

MSBuild /m %VS2017_PROJECT_PATH% /p:Configuration=ReleaseWin32 /p:Platform=Win32  /t:Clean,Build

The script works fine however I get the following warnings and errors when I try to run it:

Warning:

"Y:\Filename\Builds\VisualStudio2017\Filename.sln" (Clean;Build target) (1) ->
   "Y:\Filename\Builds\VisualStudio2017\Filename_VST.vcxproj.metaproj" (default target) (5:2) ->
   "Y:\Filenamepattern\Builds\VisualStudio2017\Filename_SharedCode.vcxproj" (default target) (6:10) ->
   (DoLibOutputFilesMatch target) ->
     C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\Common7\IDE\VC\VCTargets\Microsoft.CppBuild.targets(1386,5): warning MSB8012: TargetPath(Y:\Filename\Builds\VisualStudio2017\x64\Release\Shared Code\.lib) does not match the Library's OutputFile property value (Y:\Filename\Builds\VisualStudio2017
   \x64\Release\Shared Code\Filename_SharedCode.lib). This may cause your project to build incorrectly. To correct this, please make sure that $(OutDir), $(Targ
   etName) and $(TargetExt) property values match the value specified in %(Lib.OutputFile). [Y:\Filename\Builds\VisualStudio2017\Filename_SharedCode.
   vcxproj]

Errors:

"Y:\Filename\Builds\VisualStudio2017\Filename_AAX.vcxproj.metaproj" (default target) (3:2) ->
   "Y:\Filename\Builds\VisualStudio2017\Filename_AAX.vcxproj" (default target) (8:2) ->
   (Link target) ->
     LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file '.lib' [Y:\Filename\Builds\VisualStudio2017\Filename_AAX.vcxproj]

"Y:\Filename\Builds\VisualStudio2017\Filename_VST3.vcxproj.metaproj" (default target) (4:2) ->
   "Y:\Filename\Builds\VisualStudio2017\Filename_VST3.vcxproj" (default target) (9:2) ->
     LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file '.lib' [Y:\Filename\Builds\VisualStudio2017\Filename_VST3.vcxproj]

"Y:\Filename\Builds\VisualStudio2017\Filename_VST.vcxproj.metaproj" (default target) (5:2) ->
   "Y:\Filename\Builds\VisualStudio2017\Filename_VST.vcxproj" (default target) (10:2) ->
     LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file '.lib' [Y:\Filename\Builds\VisualStudio2017\Filename_VST.vcxproj]

In VS2017 it builds fine. And on Mac we have the same script which also builds properly.

Any ideas?
Thanks
Roland

Do you have the VST and AAX SDKs installed on your windows machine?

I just updated to the newest VST3sdk and I still get the same error.
Also I’m now trying to just build VST3 as a first step.

Check your Linker input prefs… It’s looking for an empty .lib file

LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file ‘.lib’

Rail

@Rail_Jon_Rogut
thanks a lot! Could you elaborate on that (total windows noob here).
Is that a juice setting ? Could find it.
If it’s in VS2017, won’t it be overwritten upon the next juce save.

Thanks!

Hey @rollo,

If you use the Projucer you can set additional libraries to link in “External Libraries To Link” under your Visual Studio exporter. As an example, linking to a foobar.lib:

And the library search paths settings will be available under each configuration for that exporter:

Thanks all, I’ll try again, when I’m at my workstation again.
I’m still not clear though, as to why I need to set External Libraries or a .lib file when it’s just a regular build from the Projucer. Apparently linking works correctly when I build in VS2017

If I understood @Rail_Jon_Rogut’s answer right, there is a lib with no name added. Don’t know, how that happens, but normally you would expect

LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file ‘anything.lib’

The .lib is probably added by the Projucer. so for some reason a “” got expanded to “.lib” and was added as required library, which most likely doesn’t exist

OK and any ideas how to get rid of that? Or just create a dummy empty .lib file?

In VS, for the project… for the current configuration… you need to check the Linker->Input->Additional Dependencies to see what they are.

Post the entry for that field here.

Rail

Thats the screenshot.

Thanks again for you help