Missing text input on TextEditgor component under Vista

Hi,

I have a VST plugIn with a TextEditor component, which is working fine on Mac and WinXP, but the TextEditor does not react on keyboard events when it is used under Vista in any host (I testetd with Ableton Live, NI Kore 2, EnergyXT).

I debugged it a bit and found out that there is really no event sent to our window. It helps to install another keyboard hook, but of course it is a bit dangerous to twiddle with the hosts event loop.

Any suggestions?

Best, Knutterton

That’s a bit odd… Yes, installing hooks is messy, and can cause all sorts of problems if the host also uses the event. Any idea how other plugins get around the issue?

Hi,

The PlugIns I (co-)developed had a keyboard hook that worked around the same problem, but it was switched on or off dependent on the host and platform. As far as I remember we had to switch it on for specific hosts (Ableton Live and Cubase), but I cannot remember having problems specific to Windows Vista. So our problem here seems to be a bit different.
For trivial cases the simple hook I developed works quite good, but I did not yet test more experimental stuff, like having a plug that acts as host for another instance of itself and so on. Since the windows that the juce framework opens for plugs when acting as host do already install a hook, I would expect problems here…

Best, Knutterton