Morphex - A Spectral Morphing Synthesizer [open-source plugin]

Morphex - A Spectral Morphing Synthesizer

Hello dear JUCE mates,

I’ll get to the point, I’ve created a plugin as part of my master thesis project. The plugin is called Morphex - A Spectral Morphing Synthesizer, and it morphs two sounds. Right now I am on the final phase, user testing and I was wondering if any of you would be so kind to download the plugin, testing it and fill a very short form:

https://forms.gle/JtEtnzUfBa4BMWey8

In September, once I deliver the thesis, I will upload the two repositories of this project (research in python and development in JUCE/C++) to GitHub and made them open-source, so all of you will be able to download the software, criticize it and maybe contribute to fix it. I hope this plugin may help those who are starting with JUCE and want to make a synthesizer.

This is what has been done so far:

• Morphing the harmonics of two sounds (frequencies + magnitudes).
  • Methods of harmonic transposition to be able to play the instrument (“Real Fundamental Tracking” and “Predominant Fundamental Normalization”).
  • Feature extraction of the sounds (by now, only the predominant fundamental).
  • Magnitudes normalization (pre-synthesis).
  • Design and implementation of the graphical interface.
  • XY pad component to explore and control the matrix interpolation.
  • MIDI control over the synthesis engine of the plugin.
  • Automations of the parameters of the plugin from a DAW.
  • Be able to load sounds “on the fly” with the sound browser using the left and right arrow keys of the keyboard.
  • Polyphony up to 5 simultaneous voices.
  • Preset management system (new, load and save).

I am aware of the following bugs:

• ADSR parameters do not work well (ADSR it’s not fully implemented on the code).
  • The synthesis of the stochastic component does not work correctly, everything is implemented but it does not work as expected, so this feature needs a bit more effort to make it work.
  • Pitch bend has stopped working when adding the 5 voices.
  • When multi instantiating the plugin in a DAW, only one instance work at a time.

The plugin and everything you need to know is inside this “MorphexUserTestingDemo.zip”.

Download Link

Thank you all and hope to see you soon! :smile:

3 Likes