MS Visual Studio 16.9.4 - Compile failed after VS update

I just updated my MS Visual Studio to version 16.9.4 and now my vst3 synth plugin won’t successfully compile, even after trying “Rebuild Solution”;

“1>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Community\MSBuild\Microsoft\VC\v160\Microsoft.CppCommon.targets(1480,5): error MSB3025: The source file “x64\Debug\Shared Code\” is actually a directory. The “Copy” task does not support copying directories.
1>Done building project “Mutineer_SharedCode.vcxproj” – FAILED.
2>------ Rebuild All started: Project: Mutineer_VST3, Configuration: Debug x64 ------
2>include_juce_audio_plugin_client_VST3.cpp
2> Creating library C:\JUCE\Mutineer\Builds\VisualStudio2019\x64\Debug\VST3\Mutineer.lib and object C:\JUCE\Mutineer\Builds\VisualStudio2019\x64\Debug\VST3\Mutineer.exp
2>Mutineer_VST3.vcxproj → C:\JUCE\Mutineer\Builds\VisualStudio2019\x64\Debug\VST3\Mutineer.vst3
========== Rebuild All: 1 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 skipped ==========”

Did you downgrade within the IDE or download and install via MS VS website?

You can’t downgrade with the IDE, that’s an old FR. You could try the LLVM toolchain instead, it’s not affected.

You can fix it (for now) by going to this folder:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Community\MSBuild\Microsoft\VC\v160

and open file “Microsoft.CppCommon.targets”

and comment out lines 1480 - 1482 (using the Html comment approach).

You may need to use Admin rights to modify this file.

This issue was recently discussed in another topic.

Success!

1 Like

Yep. I’ve just got this one also.

Searching for the issue gets into JUCE forum.
so this might also be related / improve web crawl…

anyone tried 16.10 preview?

1 Like

The latest Juce develop also has a fix for this

2 Likes

Ahh thanks. I’ll update our repo :slight_smile:
guess they use this -

for logging purposes -

4 Likes

i’ve run into this too and have seen the issue posted on the VS forums, specifically regarding JUCE projects. The workaround I was able to find is:

-Go to Project Properties in VS (with your Shared Code selected in the explorer)
-Go to C/C++, then Output Files
-Change “Program Database File Name” to “Inherit from parent or project defaults”

this worked for me

Edit: pretty much same thing described in the post above mine

4 Likes

Is there any patch for this which is possible from directly inside projucer without updating? None of these solutions will work in CI

You can cherry pick the fix on your ci

1 Like

Just worked for me, thanks!

Pasting the ‘copy’ command line to a cmd prompt showed me that I didn’t have permission to write to the ‘common files’ folder. Permissions set, it worked for me.

worked fine for me, cheers!