New feature: component affine transforms

Just in case people don’t notice it in the GIT log comments, I’ve just added a new feature that lets you apply a transform to a component with Component::setTransform()… It’s a neat feature and I’ve got a couple of ideas that I want to use it for, I’d be interested to hear what y’all make of it…

With Component::setOpacity(), it’ll be the perfect system for very attractive blink & rotate 2D interface!

Very cool!

Does it apply to the children too?

It does warp also mouse events ?

Yep, it does all the stuff you’d expect it to do - try it out on the widgets page of the demo app.

wicked stuff !

I’m guessing, this doesn’t apply to top level windows :lol:

Very, very cool. Very cool indeed.

Jules for president!

Jules, this is stupendously useful! I was dreading how I was going to support a scalable UI, but you have done the hard work for everyone, this is truly amazing.

I've just spent around 30 mins adding a resizer control to the bottom right corner of the AU component holder, and now I have a fully scalable bitmap based gui :) I just have to listen for resized messages in my editor and set the affine transformation accordingly. My users are now going to have a gorgeous fully scalable UI that looks like this (you should be able to scale the image much like the end users by changing the size of the web browser window):

http://www.cytomic.com/files/drop-vis-12-big.jpg

Glad to be of service! smiley

Jules, is there any way to set the quality of resampling of sub comonents that are being affine transformed that do bitmap image operations?

It depends on the rendering engine - they all behave slightly differently, and will respond to Graphics::setImageResamplingQuality() in different ways.

Jules, would you expect a different result in these two situations?

1) a component that has an affine transform applied to it and inside paint calls:

context.setImageResamplingQuality (Graphics::highResamplingQuality);

contex.drawImageAt (image, 0, 0);

2) a component that does the affine transform itself by calling:

context.setImageResamplingQuality (Graphics::highResamplingQuality);

contex.drawImageTransformed (image, AffineTransform::scale (scale));

No - it all boils down to the same thing internally. There's only one entry-point for rendering images, and it doesn't care whether its transform came from a component tranformation or elsewhere.

Maybe if you're seeing a difference it's because the transform involved has been shifted by a different sub-pixel translation?

Great, that's the answer I wanted to hear :) When I have a little time I'll try and investigate further as to why some of the text is looking a little blurrier in other places, but only sometimes. I think it is to do with the fractional vertical / horizontal translation which is needed to keep everything in place but since I have text baked into the images then I get issues. The background image which always has no translation is looking crisper to me for some reason, even though it is being scaled.