New User Help

Hi
Brand new to this so to get started I have followed (to the letter I think!) the Starting Point tutorial from the wiki to use Visual C++2010 Express, but get a LINK error right at the end of the build:

1>------ Build started: Project: juce_test, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
1> MainAppWindow.cpp
1> JUCE! Library to link to: jucelib_static_Win32_debug.lib
1>c:\users\hudson\documents\visual studio 2010\projects\juce_test\src\mainappwindow.cpp(57): warning C4996: ‘juce::ResizableWindow::setContentComponent’: was declared deprecated
1> c:\juce\src\gui\components\windows\juce_resizablewindow.h(319) : see declaration of 'juce::ResizableWindow::setContentComponent’
1> ApplicationStartup.cpp
1> JUCE! Library to link to: jucelib_static_Win32_debug.lib
1> Generating Code…
1>LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file ‘jucelib_static_Win32_debug.lib’
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

Can anyone help me fix this…?

Cheers
Mark

Agh… my first reaction was “…what tutorial in the wiki?”, then I went and had a look, and I’m afraid I had no idea that someone had written that, and it contains a huge amount of incorrect/misleading stuff! Please ignore it!

A better tutorial would read: “get the latest version of the introjucer, run it, and use the ‘new project’ wizard to create yourself a project”. That should get you started!

Ah… wikis are wonderful aren’t they… (obviously NOT!) and I thought I was doing so well… I might go and edit it to say “This tutorial doesn’t work!” 8)

I do have introjucer installed and have even already used the wizard too… not sure why I then followed the wiki… live & learn!

Cheers
Mark

This is GOOD advice! I now have a working template that creates an empty window for me and VST plug that says “Hello World!”

All other tutorial threads should IMO be banished ( :x to have wasted so much time reading them!)

Sorry! I’ve replaced the one in the wiki now, with a much shorter version.

Mind reader? :lol: