Noob question

Hey everybody!

First post!

Anyways, I recently began working with JUCE (and c++ as a whole) and I'm loving it so far. Now I went through this tutorial:

http://www.redwoodaudio.net/Tutorials/juce_for_vst_development__intro3.html

and did everything exactly the same, but when I went to build I receive the error message:

"Unable to start program '...\Debug\StereoWidthCtrl.dll'.  The system cannot find the filed specified. I was wondering if anybody knows what I did wrong?

Sorry if the question is so far beyond amateur but I really can't figure it out and would appreciate any tips! Thanks in advance.

A DLL is defined here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic-link_library .

It cannot be run (aka "started"), because it is not an exectuable (aka "program", "application"). As you may already know, on Windows, this type of file has the extension ".exe", respectively.

What you have is a plugin, in the form of a library, and you need an application to run it, such as a DAW. To see if your plugin is working, copy the result DLL file to the appopriate VST (or VST3 if you're simply or also building them) folder, and help your favourite DAW locate it.

Edit:

The default 32-bit VST2 folder is the following: C:\Program Files (x86)\VstPlugins

The default 32-bit VST3 folder is the following: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\VST3

Welcome.

On PCs, VST plugins are .DLLs.

You need a VST Host to feed audio/MIDI data in, route audio/MIDI data between pluggins and channel audio/MIDI data output.

You have to configre where the host can locate the VST plugin .dll -

Build the Juce Audio Demo Host  - that'll do it - Other hosts are available

I understand that .dll's have to run through a host program. I'm saying it's not making the .dll in the first place; I can't copy something to my VST folder that doesn't exist.

Hmm. Any errors in the build log?

Right-click on JuceDemoPlugin and select Properties (General) - Check Target Extension is .dll

------ Rebuild All started: Project: JuceDemoPlugin, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
  PluginProcessor.cpp
  PluginEditor.cpp
  juce_AAX_Wrapper.cpp
  juce_audio_basics.cpp
  juce_audio_devices.cpp
  juce_audio_formats.cpp
  juce_audio_processors.cpp
  juce_audio_utils.cpp
  juce_core.cpp
  juce_data_structures.cpp
  juce_events.cpp
  juce_graphics.cpp
  juce_gui_basics.cpp
  juce_gui_extra.cpp
  juce_PluginUtilities.cpp
  juce_VST_Wrapper.cpp
  juce_VST3_Wrapper.cpp
  Generating Code...
  juce_RTAS_DigiCode1.cpp
  juce_RTAS_DigiCode2.cpp
  juce_RTAS_DigiCode3.cpp
  juce_RTAS_WinUtilities.cpp
  juce_RTAS_Wrapper.cpp
  Generating Code...
PluginProcessor.obj : warning LNK4075: ignoring '/EDITANDCONTINUE' due to '/OPT:LBR' specification
     Creating library .\Debug\JuceDemoPlugin13Db.lib and object .\Debug\JuceDemoPlugin13Db.exp
  JuceDemoPlugin.vcxproj -> C:\Users\DUB\Documents\JUCE\extras\audio plugin demo\Builds\VisualStudio2013\.\Debug\JuceDemoPlugin13Db.dll
          1 file(s) copied.
========== Rebuild All: 1 succeeded, 0 failed, 0 skipped ==========

BTW, to execute (Debug) the plugin, you have to configure the debug app (host) executed - and get it to include the plugin .dll