Plugin Host on Lion - Audio Units appear blank

I’ve tried a number of AU plugins in the plugin host example project and many of them appear blank. All that I’ve tested appear to have carbon gui’s. All tested Apple plugins are blank. Camel Crusher from Camel Audio works, and the plugins from Melda Production seem to be fine. CSR Hall from IK Multimedia appears and disappears as clicked upon, sometimes just the knob or dial with everything else blank. All of the plugins work when tested in Logic.

Also, I had to modify juce_audio_processors.cpp to reference MAC_OS_X_VERSION_10_7 so the CarbonDummyPointName workaround would get picked up. I’d imagine there’s a better way to handle it but it needed changing nonetheless.

Sounds like you’re building with your target platform set to 10.7 or later…? If you do that, the carbon headers aren’t available, so it won’t be able to deal with carbon plugins correctly.

In fact the problem was an old JUCE_BUILD_MISC flag that I’d left in there by mistake. I’ll tidy that up, but if your build target is 10.5 or later it should build for you anyway.

It doesn’t seem to make a difference. I have it building with 10.6 SDK and deployment target at 10.6. I’ve tried setting the deployment target to 10.5, although there is no 10.5 SDK on Lion it seems. Some plugins still work though, and from debugging they appear to have carbon based gui’s. So I don’t know. I’m starting to think it’s best to just reinstall snow leopard.

Well, you need to target 10.5 or earlier if you want it to work.

Just to be clear, are you saying that if I have it set to the 10.7 SDK and set the deployment target to 10.5 and it should work?

I think so, in theory. (Unless they’ve broken something in 10.7).

Well something must be broken or I just can’t get it right. I’ve tried setting to 10.5, tried 10.4, tried “modernizing” the project file. I’m no expert with this stuff but it just doesn’t seem to work so I’m going back to snow leopard.

It sounds like this issue.
http://www.rawmaterialsoftware.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7548

[quote=“vishvesh”]It sounds like this issue.
http://www.rawmaterialsoftware.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7548[/quote]

No, it’s completely unrelated.