Problems getting started with JUCE

Hi
I am new to programming and have just started taking C++ classes and wanted to do something creative with C++ that relates to audio i.e. writing a few VST plugins. A friend suggested that I try Juce.

I am having a few problems getting started with it.
My system is a 2012 macbook pro OSX10.7

Xcode 4.5.1
I have installed the command line tools, IOS simulator and all the parts in the documentation tab.

I have put the JUCE folder in my documents directory.
The only example that I can get to compile is the HelloJucer example

Building the Introjucer project generates 14 errors.

/Users/geoffsvault/Documents/juce/extras/Introjucer/JuceLibraryCode/BinaryData.cpp
/Users/geoffsvault/Documents/juce/extras/Introjucer/JuceLibraryCode/BinaryData.cpp:1150:14: Case value evaluates to 3439708769, which cannot be narrowed to type ‘int’
/Users/geoffsvault/Documents/juce/extras/Introjucer/JuceLibraryCode/BinaryData.cpp:1148:14: Case value evaluates to 2510118200, which cannot be narrowed to type ‘int’
/Users/geoffsvault/Documents/juce/extras/Introjucer/JuceLibraryCode/BinaryData.cpp:1147:14: Case value evaluates to 2986571757, which cannot be narrowed to type ‘int’
/Users/geoffsvault/Documents/juce/extras/Introjucer/JuceLibraryCode/BinaryData.cpp:1146:14: Case value evaluates to 3104166330, which cannot be narrowed to type ‘int’
/Users/geoffsvault/Documents/juce/extras/Introjucer/JuceLibraryCode/BinaryData.cpp:1144:14: Case value evaluates to 4227652156, which cannot be narrowed to type ‘int’
/Users/geoffsvault/Documents/juce/extras/Introjucer/JuceLibraryCode/BinaryData.cpp:1142:14: Case value evaluates to 2589788258, which cannot be narrowed to type ‘int’
/Users/geoffsvault/Documents/juce/extras/Introjucer/JuceLibraryCode/BinaryData.cpp:1138:14: Case value evaluates to 2225544384, which cannot be narrowed to type ‘int’
/Users/geoffsvault/Documents/juce/extras/Introjucer/JuceLibraryCode/BinaryData.cpp:1137:14: Case value evaluates to 2298820955, which cannot be narrowed to type ‘int’
/Users/geoffsvault/Documents/juce/extras/Introjucer/JuceLibraryCode/BinaryData.cpp:1136:14: Case value evaluates to 2580019537, which cannot be narrowed to type ‘int’
/Users/geoffsvault/Documents/juce/extras/Introjucer/JuceLibraryCode/BinaryData.cpp:1134:14: Case value evaluates to 3330974881, which cannot be narrowed to type ‘int’
/Users/geoffsvault/Documents/juce/extras/Introjucer/JuceLibraryCode/BinaryData.cpp:1132:14: Case value evaluates to 3259246362, which cannot be narrowed to type ‘int’
/Users/geoffsvault/Documents/juce/extras/Introjucer/JuceLibraryCode/BinaryData.cpp:1130:14: Case value evaluates to 3059177616, which cannot be narrowed to type ‘int’
/Users/geoffsvault/Documents/juce/extras/Introjucer/JuceLibraryCode/BinaryData.cpp:1128:14: Case value evaluates to 2798641378, which cannot be narrowed to type ‘int’
/Users/geoffsvault/Documents/juce/extras/Introjucer/JuceLibraryCode/BinaryData.cpp:1127:14: Case value evaluates to 2500843485, which cannot be narrowed to type ‘int’

BUilding the JuceDemoPlugin
/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Extras/CoreAudio/AudioUnits/AUPublic/OtherBases/AUMIDIEffectBase.cpp:154:18: Member ‘MIDIEvent’ found in multiple base classes of different types

Building the dRowAudioReverb VST
Command /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/clang failed with exit code 1

I thought if I put up a range of errors it may be helpful.

If anyone could offer me any advice on what I need to do to get Juce to build the examples then that would be really great.
Cheers
GEoff

Always try the latest version before reporting a bug! This was just a minor llvm compatibility thing that I sorted out some time ago.

Hi , I’m a new user of juce wanting to build a vst plugin… I’m experiencing the very same thing.
What do you mean by the latest version?
I just downloaded Juce 2.0 from sourgeforge here http://sourceforge.net/projects/juce/files/juce/ and put the juce folder under my user in /User/macbook
I use Xcode 4.5(4G182) and MacOSX 10.7.5 and building the jucer or introjucer fires me the same semanting issues.
I tried to change the base SDK to the newest 10.8 and the compiler to GCC 4.2 instead of apple’s llvm and the result building the jucer is :“Command /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/llvm-gcc-4.2 failed with exit code 1”

2.0 is old now.

Click the “downloads” button at the top of the site, and look at “latest version”.

hi jules, thanks for the quickest reply ever!
I am able now to build the example plugin successfully. I am using the 2.0.21 juce modules version, in fact if I let the updater tool do its work via the introjucer (JUCE modules updater) and update to 2.0.38 then xcode fails to build the plugin.

even if I can build an operating plugin I would prefer to be able to use the latest version set up though… what am I missing?
in the meantime I also noticed while juggling with the parameters in the interface (just renamed some sliders for the first try :smiley: ) that in the minihost provided with juce the AU version is not updating the slider’s label while the vst version is doing it properly. however in plogue bidule and in logic pro both the VST and the AU have the correct slider’s labels… which could be the reason?

cheers for this incredible framework! the more I scratch its surface the more I like it!

Use GIT - just get the latest of everything, and make sure you don’t have any old versions anywhere: that’s what your build problem is.

sadly the latest “bleeding edge” version is not working on the demo plugin… but it is working on the introjucer!

Well it works for me.

My apologies for the hasty post from before, without any problem specification.
compiling the juceDemoPlugin, I encountered the sole following issue :
in /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Extras/CoreAudio/AudioUnits/AUPublic/AUBase/AUPluginDispatch.cpp:417

"no member named ‘MIDIEvent’ in ‘AUBase’ "

then I thought that it had to be a coreAudio problem since everyone else seems to be able to build with the introjucer happily…
so I downloaded the Audio Tools for Xcode (feb 2012 version!) from Xcode itself (open developer tool->more developer tools) and put the old CoreAudio folder into the Xcode bundle (following this post http://www.rawmaterialsoftware.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8682)

after the mentioned casting fixes in AUCarbonViewBase.cpp and disambiguations in AUMIDIEffectBase.cpp:154 (as mentioned in this post http://www.rawmaterialsoftware.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7752) now everything seems to work fine!

thanks everyone for the help!