Problems building sample Mac VST

Hi all,

Hoping someone can help me. I’m trying to build the latest build of Juce ( 1.38 ) as well as the latest Audio plugin framework ( 1.11 ) demo. I’ll confess that I’m a Mac nube. My configuration is:

Xcode 2.4
Intel Core Duo
OSX 10.4.8
VSTSDK2.4
PPMulator.vst (demo)
Cubase 4.0 (UB)
Tracktion 2 (demo)

I am able to build Juce in both debug and release mode by modifying the juce.xcconfig to:

ARCHS = ppc i386
SDKROOT = /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk
GCC_VERSION_ppc = 3.3
MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET_ppc = 10.3
OTHER_LD_FLAGS_ppc = /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.3.9.sdk/usr/lib/gcc/darwin/3.3/libstdc++.a
SDKROOT_ppc = /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.3.9.sdk

as the 10.2 stuff is not on my machine.

I am also able to produce a release build of JuceVST.vst but not the debug build. I get the following error:

Linking /Users/JP/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/JuceVST.build/Debug/JuceVST.build/Objects-normal/ppc/JuceVST

ld: …/…/…/…/juce/bin/libjucedebug.a(juce_String.o) illegal reference for -dynamic code (section difference reference from section (__TEXT,__eh_frame) relocation entry (46) to symbol: ___isfinite defined in dylib: /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.3.9.sdk/usr/lib/libSystem.dylib)

In all cases, I place a copy of the release build of JuceVST in the /Library/Audio/Plug-ins/VST folder but am unable to get the plugin to load.

In Cubase, I am able to load the plugins which come with the VST SDK (which I build separately), but not able to load JuceVST or PPMulator. There is nothing of use in the console log.

In Tracktion, I am not able to load JuceVST or any of the VST SDK plugins. I am able to load PPMulator. In the console log it says:

searching in /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST

ignoring plugin: again.vst

ignoring plugin: JuceVST.vst

VST: mda Ambience
VST: mda AutoPan
VST: mda Bandisto
VST: mda BeatBox

Sorry for the long post, but wanted to provide as much info as possible. If anyone can provide any assistance or ideas I’d appreciate it!

-jp

see if this thread helps…

http://www.rawmaterialsoftware.com/juceforum/viewtopic.php?t=1028&start=15

Adding your fix to the juce_MathsFunctions corrected the debug build problem, but I’m still unable to load the plug in Cubase 4 or Tracktion 2 demo.

Any thoughts?

Could be a ppc/intel mismatch of some kind, I guess…

What are the conditions under which Tracktion ignores plugins (in the logs)?

Are you able to build the demo and get it to run on intel?

A PPC-only application won’t be able to use an intel-only plugin, and vice-versa. Not sure if a ppc app can use a UB plugin, though I’d have thought it’d be ok.