'Rectangle' : ambiguous symbol

Hi,

I include windows and gdi before juce_WithoutMacros.h but get

1>C:\git\patrick\vflib\include\vf/ui/vf_Facade.h(43): error C2872: ‘Rectangle’ : ambiguous symbol
1> could be 'C:\Programme\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\include\wingdi.h(3989) : BOOL Rectangle(HDC,int,int,int,int)'
1> or ‘c:\git\juce.vc10\src\gui\graphics\contexts…/geometry/juce_Rectangle.h(42) : juce::Rectangle’

Does anyone know a workaround for this?

best regards,

Patrick

Just use an explicit namespace - juce::Rectangle.

I’m trying to switch to the juce module branch and have exactly the same problem: when building using sources from the modules branch, visual c++ complains about ambiguous Rectangle and I have to explicitely add the juce:: namespace, while when I build against the two month old non-module juce tree it shows no issue… I’m puzzled, the environment is the same, and the compilation flags are the same. Juce is included using the supplied ‘juce.h’ file.

There used to be a macro that defined Rectangle as juce::Rectangle, but I dropped it because using something like that is just a really nasty hack.

You should just use an explicit namespace, or maybe don’t include the windows headers in files that don’t need them, so that there’s no clash.

I’m having exactly this problem while trying to arrange some existing sources in “juce module” fashion.

One of these .cpp files needs windows.h so I put an #include for it into the main “juce_module.cpp” file.

This causes all the other .cpp files that use Rectangles to complain like shown above.

What is the preferred way to cope with this?

AAX resizing Bug and fix

define NOGDI before any Windows headers:

#if defined(_MSC_VER)

#define NOGDI
#include <windows.h>
#include <WinBase.h>
#include <atomic>

#endif

You can also define WIN32_LEAN_AND_MEAN after defining NOGDI (if that’ll work for you).

Rail

Not a big deal, but

i also suggest define NOMINMAX before too :smiley:

Very cool! I run into this issue from time to time when writing native Win32 code alongside JUCE code, I usually hack it out via super annoying header include ordering. I think this way better.