Restoring Garageband 10.4.6 security settings

Hello all,

I lowered by Garageband 10.4.6 security settings on Monterey 12.6 to load an AU (version 2) that wasn’t sandboxed. I’d like to restore them to their original values, but can’t seem to figure out how.

I’ve tried uninstalling and reinstalling, including removing many GB-associated files such as:

/Users/<Admin>/Library/Application Scripts/com.apple.garageband10
/Users/<Admin>/Library/Application Scripts/com.apple.STMExtension.GarageBand
/Users/<Admin>/Library/Containers/com.apple.STMExtension.GarageBand

/Users/<Standard>/Library/Application Scripts/com.apple.garageband10
/Users/<Standard>/Library/Application Scripts/com.apple.STMExtension.GarageBand
/Users/<Standard>/Library/Containers/com.apple.garageband10/Data/Library/HTTPStorages/com.apple.garageband10
/Users/<Standard>/Library/Containers/com.apple.garageband10/Data/Library/Application Support/GarageBand

I did not touch:

/Library/Application Support/iLifeMediaBrowser/Plug-Ins/iLMBGarageBandPlugin.ilmbplugin
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/StorageManagement.framework/PlugIns/GarageBandStorageExtension.appex
/private/var/folders/*/*/C/com.apple.GarageBand/

Following the advice here:
https://forum.juce.com/t/garageband-x-sandboxing/11739/10
I issued the following command in Terminal:
defaults delete com.apple.audio.SandboxHelper app.com.apple.garageband10
but I still don’t get that original dialog,

Use of the requested Audio Unit(s) requires lowering the security settings for “GarageBand”. Are you sure you want to proceed?

Any suggestions on restoring GB security settings to their original values?

Many thanks.

I think you mixed two deletes in one command - tried deleting each key individually?

Also, seen this?

Let us know what you do to fix it - I have a machine I’ve disabled SIP on, for testing, but I’d be happier to just enable/disable Garageband sandbox for testing, too …

1 Like

I tried separating it into two commands, but that didn’t make a difference unfortunately. Also, it seems there’s nothing to delete even after rebooting:

<StandardUser> ~ % defaults delete app.com.apple.garageband10
2022-09-21 11:04:38.119 defaults[630:6347]
Domain (app.com.apple.garageband10) not found.
Defaults have not been changed.

<StandardUser> ~ % defaults delete com.apple.audio.SandboxHelper
2022-09-21 11:04:43.236 defaults[631:6372]
Domain (com.apple.audio.SandboxHelper) not found.
Defaults have not been changed.

I don’t see anything on the linked page that might help, but thanks anyway.

Let us know what you do to fix it - I have a machine I’ve disabled SIP on, for testing, but I’d be happier to just enable/disable Garageband sandbox for testing, too …

I appreciate the offer to disable GarageBand sandboxing on your machine but I’d hate to see you stuck in the same place I am not being able to re-enable it.

For my Admin user, the commands:
defaults delete app.com.apple.garageband10
defaults delete com.apple.audio.SandboxHelper
produce the same unsatisfactory results.

Unfortunately the non-sandboxed plug-in loads after I copy it over and chown it. The lowered security applies for all users.

Edit:

The relevant GB 10 domain on my system according to the output of
defaults domains
is
com.apple.garageband10,
not
app.com.apple.garageband10.
It can also be referenced as
-app GarageBand.

I’m wondering if this is a problem peculiar to my system or if the old way of doing this no longer works.

Has anyone successfully lowered and then restored Garageband security settings on Monterey?

1 Like