Small question about building a VST for mac (I'm on windows)

If i compile my plugin for release, assuming there are no windows-specific lines of code, will Mac users be able to use it or do I have to compile on a mac for it to work?

In general, you must build your applications and plugins on the target platform, i.e. plugins designed to run on macOS must be built on macOS.

1 Like

That’s why i have 5 computers at home! :frowning_face: Is there any approach to avoid that (expensive) proliferation? I briefly tried Virtual Machines, but TBH in the past i never succeeded to run Manjaro on Ubuntu (nor macOS) for instance.

what about using an automated service like GitHub actions? you can configure a workflow to run your build natively on a MacOS, Windows, or Ubuntu machine and then upload your artifacts. You could even automate creating releases/packages via github, too…

1 Like

Thanks, i’ll have a look. (((I can not remember why i didn’t considered it before. Probably that this didn’t exist when i was looking for an easier way.)))

GitHub Actions and similar (Circle CI for example) are great for building but they won’t be as helpful when you have a problem you need to debug. Maybe something like https://www.macincloud.com/?

Because they used to cost. Only now there are tiers that are interesting for indie developers. Especially with offers for free for open source projects…

1 Like