[SOLVED] Steinberg Vst SDK 3.6 ?!

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to build an audio plugin host. If anyone has built such an application before I want to ask you if it is necessary to download Steinberg SDK 3.6 ? If yes, why it is necesssary ?

And what kind of project should I start in Juce in order to locate the Steinberg SDK files ?

I just have displayed the PluginListComponent without downloading the Vst Sdk 3.6 and I haven't made the scan of the plugin's. I tried the scanFor() function but a break point appeared so I don't know what to do now.

If someone can give me some an orientation or explain to me how to scan plugin's and show them in menubar I would be grateful to you. ;)

I don't want to start a new project and set the location of Steinberg SDK because i have done a lot of work with my project till now and don't want to write all the codes from the beginning. So if it is possible to include Steinberg files directly in my project it would be nice.

I forgot to say that when i first started using juce i created a new project with only a main basic window.

What i'm trying to do is that I am creating an application where someone can produce music in the simplest way possible. :P :)

Follow the instructions on Juce's download page.

Build Introjucer first - Use it to open the .jucer files in

{You (may) need to download the ASIO/VST plugin/host libraries and adjust the relevent path. Handy to download the SDKs to C:/SDKs where the default Jucer projects may expect them to be}

Build the Audio plugin host and plugin examples on your preferred system. Hint: they probably do everything you need

The problem is that I don't want to create a vst plugin with the ".dll" in the end. I want to create an executable program that behaves like a host for vst plugin so that the user can scan for plugins in his computer and load them into the main application that i am building. I have created the menubar where the user has to open the PluginListComponent. The PluginListComponent is ok too, but i don't know how to scan for plugins. I took a look at the audio plugin host example of Juce and it is exaclty what I am looking for my application. I saw that the audio plugin host example also includes some Steinberg files and this is the reason i posted this topic because I wasn't sure if i had to include those files in my project too. Now I don't know how to set the location of these Steinberg files and include them into my project. I tried every project template that Juce has and only the audio plugin project offers to include the Steinberg Vst SDK files, but this project builds only plugins with .dll format and not executable applications.

I am beginner so a little help would be nice from you. :)

Why don't you look at the plugin host's Introjucer project? You can see the exact properties it has there. You can actually choose the Audio Plugin template and still make an executable instead of a .dll. If you look on the "Project Settings" page in the Introjucer (top tab on the config page), the 6th setting says "Project Type" and you can change that to "Application (GUI). That's all you need to do. It'll still let you enter the path to the VST SDK in the IDE configurations.

I haven't needed to read it, so I'm not sure, but I think the .txt file in the audio plugin demo might tell you how to set it up without the IntroJucer. I believe it's called "how to use this framework" or something like that. I really think starting a new project would be easiest. The only thing you would have to do is copy your files into the new project and you're good to go.

Ok, i understand that i can change the type of the introjucer project and make a GUI Project, but my main question was : " Is it really necessary to include Steinberg files in my project if I am trying to build an application which allows users to scan for plugins in their computers and after this to load and use them ??? "

Maybe you haven't seen that example enough, but if you open it and click "Edit the list of available plugins..." at Options menu, as the picture below :

you are going to see that when you click again "Options" button to the window that appears as in picture below :

there is displayed a PopupMenu with items for scanning...and when i created the PluginListComponent in my application, these two item's aren't displayed and I don't know how to do the scanning.

You can see it below and you can try it by yourself that when you build your application there won't be scanning options.

What is the problem of this now ? Is it because of the Steinberg files which aren't included or there must be a function to implement for the scanning of plugins ?

I looked at all the codes of audio plugin host example and I didn't find at least a code that shows how those item's are made visible or at least to have a function that scans for plugins...Now if there is any other example or method to do this it would be great. Or at least if someone knows what I'm doing wrong is free to tell me. :)

I can past my codes in here for you if you find it easy to understand what's wrong.

Yes, the host need the relevant SDK’s to be linked. You also need to define the correct JUCE flags to support hosting the format. You’ll see all this if you study the Host example and read the JUCE source code.

Rail

So...there doesn't exist another plugin host example which is more simple ?

The Host demo is simple, it only performs one function.

Rail

Yeah, i solved it. Thank you all for your help even why the problem was somewhere else.

The problem was that i didn't enable Juce_PluginHost_VST3 at the audio_processor module in the Introjucer project. When i enabled it the path to set the location of Steinberg files was then visible.

Now i should take care for the scanning of plugins and the loading of them. ;)

For all the guys who have the same problem....

After you have created your project and you have opened the introjucer of your project :

1- Go to "Config" panel.

2- Then, click over the juce_audio_processors module.

3- On your right side at the introjucer you should see the JUCE_PLUGINHOST_VST and VST3....enable both of these because they might be set default.

4- In the end of the modules you have your debugger configuration...Click over Visual Studio 2013 or ( your IDE...), then on the right side you can see the folder of Vst and VST3 where you have to set the location of Steinberg VST SDK 3.x files. 

5- Run your IDE and everything must work fine. :)

I thought i had to share these steps for the beginners as myself. :P