Strange linker errors

Hi

I am new to juce, and have gotten the Linux library to compile successfully(whew!) to juce/Builds/Linux/build/libjucedebug.a . when I compile a small program with

gcc -o jucetest jucetest.cpp -pthread -lfreetype -lX11 -lXinerama -ldl -L"juce/Builds/Linux/build" -ljucedebug

I get a linker error:

/usr/bin/ld: juce/Builds/Linux/build//libjucedebug.a(juce_linux_NativeCode_b464a4a9.o): undefined reference to symbol 'XShmGetEventBase'
/usr/bin/ld: note: 'XShmGetEventBase' is defined in DSO /usr/lib/libXext.so.6 so try adding it to the linker command line
/usr/lib/libXext.so.6: could not read symbols: Invalid operation
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

when I try to fix it with -lXext, at least a thousand lines are spat out, of which the last few lines are like:

juce/Builds/Linux/build//libjucedebug.a(juce_AudioFormat_6605d0f9.o):(.rodata._ZTVN4juce11AudioFormatE[vtable for juce::AudioFormat]+0x30): more undefined references to `__cxa_pure_virtual' follow
juce/Builds/Linux/build//libjucedebug.a(juce_AudioFormat_6605d0f9.o):(.rodata._ZTIN4juce11AudioFormatE[typeinfo for juce::AudioFormat]+0x0): undefined reference to `vtable for __cxxabiv1::__class_type_info'
juce/Builds/Linux/build//libjucedebug.a(juce_AudioFormat_6605d0f9.o):(.eh_frame+0x4b): undefined reference to `__gxx_personality_v0'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

I want to use juce in my college project… peers on the net are using it flawlessly, but when I follow the exact same steps, such linker errors pop up. I am in a distressed state - please help.

thanks in advance,
Yati

PS: I am on 32-bit Fedora; kernel 2.6.35.12-90.fc14.i686

I’d very much recommend NOT building the static library, and using the amalgamated or directly-included cpp method. Use the introjucer to create your project and it should all just work.

Hi Jules,

Thanks for the reply, but trying to build introjucer from the sources in the juce-1.5.2 package yields the very same ld error. Do you have a Fedora rpm for the introjucer binary? On sourceforge, I could find only the exe and the dmg versions.

thanks,

Yati

I had this error once, it happens when you use gcc to compile C++ stuff.
Use ‘g++’ instead, and at least this error will disappear.

[quote=“yati”]Hi Jules,

Thanks for the reply, but trying to build introjucer from the sources in the juce-1.5.2 package yields the very same ld error. Do you have a Fedora rpm for the introjucer binary? On sourceforge, I could find only the exe and the dmg versions.

thanks,

Yati[/quote]

Grab the latest tip from the GIT, and if that still fails, let me know and we’ll figure out what’s wrong.