Synthlab is coming soon

Hello everybody.

I have launched a project in recent months, because I felt some things missing in Reaktor and I also wanted to learn something about modular software synthesis. This turned out very well. Not to mention that JUCE helped a lot!

I do not know yet, whether I put the whole under the GPL, or distribute commercially. I will make a decision in the coming weeks, depending on the public interest.

The whole thing is written in C ++ with the JUCE framework.

Currently the base is almost finished and pretty stable. I have built both a standalone version and an AU plugin. The Windows version will follow soon, here I have to put in a lot of work …

I currently have a good dozen modules that can be used to build simple synths and effects, and I can also load in external plugins (Reaktor for example, lol) as a module.

The actual work, namely the implementation of the remaining modules is now before me.

Long story short, here are some screenshots from the current state. Sound examples will follow.

Comments are welcome at any time.

Updates will follow frequently.

Looks quite interesting! Are you going for something like Max/MSP?

GPL and commercial distribution are not exclusive. You can license the source code under GPL and sell the built binary (you can also sell the source code, but I don’t think anybody would pay for it if it’s already available under GPL :smile:).

Before the star goes down here again:

The source code is now available on GitHub at https://github.com/mpue/Synthlab

It’s no top notch code, since I am no C++ guru. But It works pretty good and is a good base, IMHO.

Those who are interested should check out the IOS Branch, which is up to date and works for all platforms, I just have not found the time to merge on the master.

Have fun! I am always happy to answer any questions!

I’ve been working with a lot of non-audio programmers who want to make iOS music apps.

We’ve figured out that the easiest way to do that is let them make a Pure Data patch to function as their audio backend (audio in C++ is out of the picture, these are beginners with only 1 or 2 CS classes behind them). That patch can be imported to Swift/Objective-C via LibPD (and some JUCE glue and extra Pd patches to make things easier for them). Max/MSP would be great, but it’s too inflexible/proprietary.

UI elements can then be mapped to Pd [send] and [receive] objects and, with very little effort, non-audio programmers can easily make an audio app or audio plugin. Because Pure Data is open source, there were no licensing headaches or roadblocks to get up and running.

I’m not sure if you’ve ever thought of using SynthLab as a basic audio engine in this kind of way, but there would definitely be a demand for it if you do. I could imagine creating a couple synths in SynthLab and then be able to import them as the audio backend for a project without needing to dive deep into JUCE or c++ audio. Since this is all JUCE, that would be relatively simple to do (though not a trivial amount of work!).

You could do a twin GPL/Paid license and non programmers could easily create audio apps or plugins. Just a shower thought.