Tracktion Engine: Announcing new pricing

Hi everyone, we’re really excited to announce new pricing tiers for Tracktion Engine and the ability to order subscriptions from our website:

The pricing tiers still have the free education and personal tiers but have a much more progressive pricing structure for company revenue/funding limits up to $10m. If you’re over the $10m limit, get in contact with us and we’ll figure out the best licensing option with you.

If you need to purchase a Tracktion Engine licence you can simply press the “Buy” button, change the number of seats you need for your company and then the relevant recurring payment will be set up automatically.

Introducing Tracktion Graph

In addition to the new Tracktion Engine pricing I’ve been working on a new playback engine module called tracktion_graph. This will replace the current AudioNode classes currently inside Tracktion Engine.

The aim of this is to provide a much clearer separation of the model classes of Tracktion Engine and the actual rendering classes. This also fixes some issues we had with PDC and latency with complex Track/Aux/Rack routings, should be more CPU efficient and will provide the basis for future features such as better multi-channel support and a complete 64-bit rendering pipeline.

There are some very early classes currently on the develop branch but I’ve got a lot more work in our private repo whilst I work on API stability for classes that interact with the Tracktion Engine model classes. Once this is complete I’ll move everything over to develop for you to take a look at.

For most people, this change will be transparent. However, I am planning to provide a document format (similar to a Rack) which you can use to very quickly build Nodes to process plugins with.

If you’ve any questions about any of the above please let me know.

9 Likes

I’d just like to give Dave a bit of a shout-out here, as the new graph stuff that he’s been working on here is particularly cool rock-star-level piece of work. Fixing PDC in arbitrary graphs is a real brain-melter!

As he said, it’s still a work-in-progress, but I think it’ll grow into a really powerful tool in its own right, as it means that the engine can offer two different flavours of declaratively-controlled audio engines. The current tracktion_engine model is great for DAW-style tracks + clips + timeline + linear playhead stuff, but some apps are less playhead-based, and fit more nicely into this style of just building a graph, letting it run continuously, and updating it dynamically as needed.

4 Likes

I noticed the new graph stuff in the repo a few days ago and was quite fascinated! (The explanatory texts were an especially nice touch.)

What does PDC stand for? :wink:

Plugin Delay Compensation.

1 Like

Great stuff, looking forward to seeing how this develops :sunglasses:

does tracktion_graph support multichannel (> stereo) routing?

The tracktion_graph module does (we use that in Rack processing in Tracktion Engine now). Although we don’t currently have support for channel semantics or reading multi-channel audio files.

The other end of this is to add multi-channel audio devices to Tracktion Engine which is still on the to do list.

7 Likes

@dave96, I’ve noticed that Racks (including empty racks) add a little bit of latency in Waveform 11. Will the tracktion_graph updates that you are working solve this too?

In the current engine, Racks with a single instance won’t add any latency but if you add a Rack instance to two or more tracks you’ll introduce a block of latency.

In the new engine, providing you don’t introduce any cycles, there should be no latency (only that introduced from plugins with latency).

I hope that makes sense.

2 Likes

@dave96 Hello Dave, I have a question regarding the license.

Section 1.2 reads -
Each Tracktion Engine licence comes with a specific number of seats for users to utilize the Code, and you agree that only one user may utilize the Code per seat offered in your specific Tracktion Engine licence for the purposes of coding and development.

My question is if a developer has access to the source code but is not “utilizing the Code”, will he or she be required to have a license seat? Heres a hypothetical, say I am building one super application that is half DAW and half Game Engine. I have 4 engineers working on this one application. 2 are working on the DAW part and 2 are working on the Game Engine part. The two working on the DAW part have “Audio Engineer” as their job title. The two working on the Game Engine have “Game Engine Engineer” as theirs. All 4 engineers have access to the entire source code during development. Will the 2 Game Engine Engineers be required to have licenses for Tracktion Engine?

Thanks

Yeah, with any agreement like this, no matter what we put in the license, there will always be ambiguous scenarios you could imagine which aren’t clearly stated. The JUCE license is pretty much the same.

I think when it comes to situations like that, the reality is that people do understand what’s “fair”, and certainly with JUCE, the vast majority of companies just make a reasonable judgement on what they’re using it for without wanting to get bogged-down in the legal minutiae.