Tutorial example issues with opening in older projucer version and VS2019 cannot find include files

i’ve worked with juce and the projucer before and have built a couple plugins from a couple courses i took, which were 5.x. i was able to recreate those projects from scratch when i upgraded to 6.x. I can create projects from scratch in 6.x and build them just fine and everything seems to be in the right place i.e. it finds the correct 6.x modules and whanot. however, i am still a novice when it comes to knowing how all the pieces fit together. hence my problem. currently i am using (or trying to anyway) 6.0.1.

i decided to download the example code for the tutorial building a music player. when i go to the extracted folder and double click the projucer file it opens it in an older 5.x version on my system instead of the current version. even when i tell windows to open it with the 6.0.1 executable, when projucer opens it somehow says its running 5.4.something … very bizarre. maybe this is fixable by some property in the .jucer file?

so i go to my 6.0.1 and open it manually from there, and it opens fine. so i click the button to open visual studio, build, and get a bunch of errors about cannot find the include file. i understand what that means, but i do not know how to fix it. yes i can go into the VS project properties and adjust include file paths, but 1) shouldn’t that already work out of the box without me having to do it? 2) i have gone back into projucer and looked at my module paths and they are fine. i guess i thought when i “resaved” the project in projucer it would update the module paths in the .projucer file but i can tell that that is not the case as they are still looking for the modules in a generic “…/…/…/” path instead of what my projucer has them set to. i also verified it does not update module paths in a .projucer file by looking at another project i had started in 5.x and moved to 6.x with – the projucer still shows it looking for the 5.x modules.

an example of the VS error:
1>E:\sandbox\juce\t1gs\PlayingSoundFilesTutorial\PlayingSoundFilesTutorial\JuceLibraryCode\include_juce_graphics.cpp(8,10): fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: ‘juce_graphics/juce_graphics.cpp’: No such file or directory

please bear with me as i have searched the forum for an answer and did not find anything like what i’m experiencing here… any ideas as to how to fix this? should i edit the .projucer file? that would make the most sense but if not, is there some other file i can tweak? do i need to just create a new project from scratch and grab the tutorial source from the zip file and plug it into my fresh 6.x project to get around this? one would hope the tutorial examples would be updated at a minimum with each major JUCE release, but that appears to not be the case.

Well I fixed this, although I’m not entirely certain why I had to do what I had to do.

I had found a solution while browsing the forum for simply “tutorial”. Don’t know why I didn’t do that before but I swear I did search on other things to try to get some help before posting my ramble above.

Anyway, for anyone interested, what I gleaned from the forum post “JUCE and VS Community 2017 Issues” is that I should try going into each module individually and set the “Path for Visual Studio 2019” to the module path I thought I was already using. So on the left under the purple Module Paths bar click on each item individually and there will be separate path settings for each IDE type.

Up to now the only place where I had to mess with module paths was in the Global Paths setting. I suppose it is probably the case that the example project that I downloaded for the tutorial already had those set to something that didn’t match what was on my system.