Visual Studio Express 2012 - Incompatible Project

I've just tried loading a "Visual Studio 2012 target" project (as generated by the Introducer) into Visual Studio Express 2012 for Windows 8. I'm not a Windows expert but I was surprised to find that the project was considered to be incompatible with Visual Studio Express 2012.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Can't tell you what's wrong without knowing more, but I would suggest avoiding VS2012 nowadays. I think some people still need to use VS2010 for various backwards-compatibility reasons, but if you don't have that constraint, then VS2013 or 2015 would be a much better choice, as you'll get proper C++11 support.

I've been using what I thought was a free version of Visual Studio 2015 for about a month, what Microsoft call the "Community" version. It's been working really well. However, much to my surprise, it's not a free version at all - it's a trial version. I can only continue to use it if I buy it for £500. I don't mind forking out this kind of money if I'm going to become a serious user. However, I'm in evaluation mode at the moment and tried to make do with the Express version for the time being, which really is free.

Thanks for your comments. I'm afraid I don't have any further information about the incompatibility, unless a more detailed error report is squirreled away in a log file somewhere.

It is free, you just have to register it to continue using it.

Rail

Community Edition is completely free. It's not allowed for Enterprise use, but it can be used for just about anything else. 

Thanks, Rail. Thanks, Jordan.

Sorry for the delay in responding. I've been sunning myself on a Majorcan beach this week.

Having opened an account with Microsoft, I can confirm that Visual Studio 2015 is indeed free.