VST GUI is not controlled on Cubase 6

Hi All,

This problem is only on MAC OS 32bit. MAC OS 64bit is OK. Windows is also OK.
On Cubase, There are two way to use a VST.
case 1.Use Insert Button On Left Side. Push Insert Button and select a VST.
case 2.Use Audio Tab on Top. [Audio] -> [Plugin] -> Select a VST.
When I select a VST on Cubase 6 by case 2, GUI is not controlled. case 1 is OK.
On MAC OS 32bit, must I do special something?

Thank you.

I don’t understand what you mean by “GUI is not controlled”?

Thank you for your reply.

Now I am developing and testing a VST plug-in myself.

When my plug-in is opened like the case 2 I wrote in the first post, it seems that my plug-in is not catching any mouse events, thus no buttons nor sliders on the plug-in’s GUI can be operated by a mouse.

Only my plug-in cannot be operated, and all the other third party’s plug-ins can be operated as usual even if I opened in the same manner.

Any idea?

Does the juce demo plugin work?

No it does not.

The same problem happens.

Normally a key of the demo plug-in lights when the mouse cursor is on any keys of the keyboard, but when the plug-in is selected from [Audio] -> [Plugin] menu, the key lights when the mouse cursor is outside the plug-in’s window.

It seems that the mouse position is interpreted incorrectly, thus the plug-in cannot catch proper mouse events.

Before I spend any time investigating, you’re using the latest 2.0 version of juce, right?

No, I am using the version 1.53.

Where can I get the 2.0?

Thru git :
http://juce.git.sourceforge.net/git/gitweb.cgi?p=juce/juce;a=summary

VST works normally for me in Cubase 6 LE AI element /OSX Lion

Salvator

I download it and tried that version, but the problem still happens.

The same thing happens even when I tried the juce demo plug-in.

This problem happens only when the Cubase is running in 32 bit mode on Mac OS and the plug-in is selected through Audio -> Plugin menu.

Could you please tell me your environment?

Hi,

Cubase 6 LE AI element /OSX Lion 32 bits.
But I do not have such Audio/plugin menu here. Maybe because I’m using an ‘LE’ version…

Inserting the VST thru the insert list woks.
Sometimes though (not always nor even often), when opening session that has plugins UI opened already, the UI is totally black.
Closing/reopening the UI fix it.

Salvator

Let me show how this problem can be seen.

First, select the juce demo plug-in from the Audio -> Plugin menu as you can see in the attached picture “How to select plug-in”.

Then the plug-in screen comes up.

At this moment, mouse cursor’s position is handled incorrectly.

As you can see in the attached picture “Problem”, the keyboard of the juce demo plugin is highlighted (green circle) even though the mouse cursor is outside the keyboard (red circle).

Even at this mouse cursor position, no mouse click event is recognized, thus I cannot operate the plug-in.

I hope this information help developers to solve this issue.

Any idea?

No idea… Presumably that unusual window setup is confusing it somehow, but it’s the kind of problem that could take ages to debug, so it’ll have to wait for now, unless someone else can take a look…

I am seeing this issue in some plugins as well - including the Juce 1.52 and 2.0 demo plugins. Has anyone made any progress coming up with a solution?

FYI - this does not seem to be a problem in Juce 1.46. I found this thread: http://www.rawmaterialsoftware.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7103&start=15 - thought it might be related, but no luck with the fix.

The problem is that the host is creating a modal window for offline processing. It is blocking the plugin component window from getting mouse events. Basically, Carbon/Cocoa/Juce are not playing well with each other when the parent WindowRef is modal.

[quote=“PDJ”]Hi All,

This problem is only on MAC OS 32bit. MAC OS 64bit is OK. Windows is also OK.
On Cubase, There are two way to use a VST.
case 1.Use Insert Button On Left Side. Push Insert Button and select a VST.
case 2.Use Audio Tab on Top. [Audio] -> [Plugin] -> Select a VST.
When I select a VST on Cubase 6 by case 2, GUI is not controlled. case 1 is OK.
On MAC OS 32bit, must I do special something?

Thank you.[/quote]
Could reproduce it with cubase 6, 32 bit.

I know it is a really old post but this problem still haunts Juce-based plugins. I tested with Cubase 7 32b on a 10.8.3 Mac Mini and the JuceDemoPlugin UI does not receive any mouse events if opened via Audio->Plugins->JuceDemoPlugin. On the other hand the Windows versions seem to work flawless. Has anybody found a workaround for this?

Thanks,
Cristi  

I can reproduce this problem as well with the VST2 wrapper. But with the VST3 wrapper it works fine (tested in Cubase 7).

So if you also provide VST3, Cubase will default to use it rather than VST2 and the problem will vanish.

Important note: the VST3 wrapper still has problems - just yesterday I found that stereo effects crash on mono tracks.. But it could be that all works fine for synths - anyone using the VST3 wrapper yet?

Cheers, Yair