Where's the best place to post bugs?

Hi,

I’m curious. Is the forum the best place to post issues? Or would github be a better location?

Thanks!

The forum tends to get more attention than the issues on GitHub - you could always open an issue on github and link it here?

In the GitHub’s contribution guideline it is noted that:

The JUCE forum is also the best place to file bug reports. The JUCE developers are very active there and will read every post and respond accordingly.

But IMHO a true issue tracker would be best. The current approach is sometimes frustrating.

3 Likes

I saw recently that there was some changes to github for issues, and there isn’t a “Bugs” category on the forum, so I wanted to make sure that I was posting in the correct place.

Use of the forum for bug reports (specially without any category for this) is very unpleasant.
You don’t know if it is properly handled or not.
You don’t know if it has been already reported (as you experienced just now).
Etc…
But it seems to be the official way.
Of course lots of people doesn’t care and use the GitHub’s issue tracker.
And their BR are fixed first sometimes!
It seems very strange to use the forum for that whereas with the new CLA PR are accepted.
I share your confusion.

Yes, an issue tracker would be helpful. Right now you never know if the posted bugs are expected to be removed. I understand that the resources of the JUCE team are limited but there are no clear criteria which bugs are important and which apparently are not :wink:

2 Likes