XCode Error with dsp Syntax

My code complies and runs on VS2017, but wherever I use the odd dsp class syntax “chain<0>().” Xcode gives an “Expression Expected” error. I’ve set C++14 semantics. Have I missed something?

By the way, I am on OSX High Sierra 10.13.3 and Xcode 9.2, compiling for 64bit.

I use Xcode only for my OSX builds, so I am only knowledgeable on a very rudimentary level. There may be other settings I need to tweak. That is what I need to know?

Could you copy-paste the complete line that is giving you the error? I searched for chain in juce_dsp, but could only find Chain, which doesn’t take an integer as template parameter.

Sorry…“chain” is my dsp::ProcessorChain variable. An example line of code is;

chain.get<0>().setGainLinear(*pluginState.getRawParameterValue(Trim));

It compiles and runs fine on VS2017, but Xcode says “Expression Expected” with a red tick under the second parenthesis. And it does so for each line with similar syntax.

Xcode says “Expression Expected” with a red tick under the second parenthesis

Here you are talking about what Xcode, the IDE, is reporting, it’s not a compiler error from clang, right? Do you also get a compiler error from clang? If yes, please copy-paste it here, clang usually has comprehensive error messages. If no, then it means that Xcode itself is broken.

All that Xcode does is to open the source file, put the red tick under the “)”, and state “Expression Expected”. There is nothing more.

That’s what I understood. Now you should build your code (CMD + B if I remember well) and see what clang, the compiler, has to say.

I found the “Reveal in Log”, see below, but its not very helpful.

/Users/User/SDKs/AAXProjects/Dip/Source/PluginProcessor.cpp:107:15: error: expected expression

Break it into multiple lines…

float fValue = *pluginState.getRawParameterValue (Trim);

chain.get<0>().setGainLinear (fValue);

What happens?

BTW - What’s Trim…? The JUCE code style guidelines say that Class names are Capitalized.

Rail

Your syntax change makes no difference—same error.

“Trim” is “const String Trim = “trim””.

When you split it to 2 lines… where’s the error?

Rail

The error appears in the same place, under the first “)” of the chain.get<0>().setGainLinear(*pluginState.getRawParameterValue(Trim)); statement.

We’d have to see more of your code then to see where chain is defined, etc…

Rail

Below is the declaration section;

using GainProcessor = dsp::Gain<T>;
	template<typename T>
	using FilterProcessorLow = dsp::ProcessorDuplicator<dsp::IIR::Filter<T>, dsp::IIR::Coefficients<T>>;
	template<typename T>
	using FilterProcessorHigh = dsp::ProcessorDuplicator<dsp::IIR::Filter<T>, dsp::IIR::Coefficients<T>>;

template <typename T>
	using ProcessorChain = dsp::ProcessorChain<GainProcessor<T>, FilterProcessorLow<T>, FilterProcessorHigh<T>>;

ProcessorChain<float> floatChain;
	ProcessorChain<double> doubleChain;

template<typename T>
	void process(dsp::ProcessContextReplacing<T>, ProcessorChain<T>&);

…and, just to mention again, this code works fine in VS2017. No issues whatsoever, and I compile with Treat Warnings as Errors enabled!

Below are the template specializations;

{
		dsp::AudioBlock<float> block(buffer);
		process(dsp::ProcessContextReplacing<float>(block), floatChain);
	}

void processBlock(AudioBuffer<double>& buffer, MidiBuffer& ) override
	{
		dsp::AudioBlock<double> block(buffer);
		process(dsp::ProcessContextReplacing<double>(block), doubleChain);
	}

//==============================================================================

and here is the process method;

template<typename T>
void DipAudioProcessor::process(dsp::ProcessContextReplacing<T> context, ProcessorChain<T>& chain)
{
	ScopedNoDenormals noDenormals;

const double sampleRate = getSampleRate();

const float peakLow = (*pluginState.getRawParameterValue(PeakLow));
	const float peakHzLow = ((*pluginState.getRawParameterValue(PeakHzLow)) * 1000.0f);//convert to kilohertz
	const float peakQLow = (*pluginState.getRawParameterValue(PeakQLow));
	const float peakHigh = (*pluginState.getRawParameterValue(PeakHigh));
	const float peakHzHigh = ((*pluginState.getRawParameterValue(PeakHzHigh)) * 1000.0f);//convert to kilohertz
	const float peakQHigh = (*pluginState.getRawParameterValue(PeakQHigh));

const bool isMixModeLow = ((*pluginState.getRawParameterValue(MixSweepLow)) < 0.5f ? false : true);
	const bool isMixModeHigh = ((*pluginState.getRawParameterValue(MixSweepHigh)) < 0.5f ? false : true);

if (isMixModeLow)
	{
		*chain.get<1>().state = *dsp::IIR::Coefficients<T>::makePeakFilter(sampleRate, peakHzLow, peakQLow, peakLow);
	}
	else
	{
		*chain.get<1>().state = *dsp::IIR::Coefficients<T>::makePeakFilter(sampleRate, peakHzLow, 8.0f, db2Gain(15.0f));
	}

if (isMixModeHigh)
	{
		*chain.get<2>().state = *dsp::IIR::Coefficients<T>::makePeakFilter(sampleRate, peakHzHigh, peakQHigh, peakHigh);
	}
	else
	{
		*chain.get<2>().state = *dsp::IIR::Coefficients<T>::makePeakFilter(sampleRate, peakHzHigh, 8.0f, db2Gain(15.0f));
	}

chain.process(context);
}

Just noticed the first line of the template specializations is missing, so here they are again;

void processBlock(AudioBuffer<float>& buffer, MidiBuffer& ) override
	{
		dsp::AudioBlock<float> block(buffer);
		process(dsp::ProcessContextReplacing<float>(block), floatChain);
	}

void processBlock(AudioBuffer<double>& buffer, MidiBuffer& ) override
	{
		dsp::AudioBlock<double> block(buffer);
		process(dsp::ProcessContextReplacing<double>(block), doubleChain);
	}

Bump. Surely someone must know how to get Xcode to compile this (see original post up top). I am sure it must be an Xcode setting that I don’t know.

Any ideas?

Does something like this work?

auto& p = chain.get<0>();
auto val = *pluginState.getRawParameterValue(Trim);
p.setGainLinear (val);

Thank you for the attempt. But this results in an error in the same place. In other words, it is the chain.get<0>() that code chokes on. Again, with your code, Xcode says “Expression Expected” and places a red tick under the “)”.

I am baffled, because; a) it compiles and runs fine with VS2017, b) I think the dsp class probably developed on OSX, so there must be a way to do this on a Mac.
@jules, @Fabian, @Ivan…what needs to be done to get Xcode to compile this successfully?