Appreciation thread

I didn’t find any existing thread about this, so I’ll go ahead and create one. Jules, your framework is just awesome! I was already impressed to be able to create VSTs and AU plugins with the same code, but following the simple steps for RTAS and seeing the plugin not only compile but also run with no major flaws is something unheard of in the IT field;-)

Kudos to you for this great product. I don’t recall having spent bucks in a more profitable way.

Cheers!

Mariano

Ah, my favourite kind of thread! Thanks very much!

Juce put the ‘fun’ back into “C++ functions” for me!

Juce put the multiple back into my inheritance!!!

:stuck_out_tongue:

Yay! Thank you Jules!

[quote=“swar”]I didn’t find any existing thread about this, so I’ll go ahead and create one. Jules, your framework is just awesome! I was already impressed to be able to create VSTs and AU plugins with the same code, but following the simple steps for RTAS and seeing the plugin not only compile but also run with no major flaws is something unheard of in the IT field;-)
[/quote]

Ain’t that great? If you have your code working as a VST, and you have the RTAS SDK, you can build RTAS in Xcode super easy. And the Introjucer makes setting up projects MUCH easier than in the past.

I also want to toss in my appreciation of the XML parsing code. I use XML all over my plugins - for cross-platform presets, for saving and retrieving plugin state, and for my copy protection.

Some more nice things:

• embedding fonts
  • LookAndFeel for creating your own controls (“procedurally” as opposed to filmstrip graphics - but plenty of people use filmstrips too)
  • I use Juce for my keyfile generation - it took about a day to build the app

I tend to have a lot of “squeaky wheel” posts in this forum, so I would like to add my voice to the THANK YOU for Jules!

Sean Costello

Yeah really great stuff. I’ve learned a lot from just reading the source code as well.

I would also like to jump on the Juce appreciation band wagon. I’ve been using it for almost three years (as a study tool to begin with, more seriously recently) and can’t say how much I enjoy using it and how much it has taught me. I’ve only recently started to look at other libraries for features that Juce currently doesn’t offer and there is simply no comparison in the wealth of documentation, examples and support.

Although I did a bit of programming before picking up Juce, mainly in simple C and some Javascript, pretty much all of my C++ knowledge has been learnt from Juce and the way Jules does things. I know people often complain that there aren’t a lot of Juce examples but I’ve never found this to be the case, a quick look through the demo, jucer or codebase normally reveals what I’m looking for.

I would also like to say how useful a tool the Introjucer is. It makes setting up and building an application not only portable but incredibly quick, literally minutes from the download to a working blank application, if only other libraries were this quick and intuitive to set up. I also love the naming system, with autocomplete you really only have to guess at function names, if it makes gramatical sense its probably right, none of this silly underscore abbreviated nonsense, tell me what a function is doing.

Thanks Jules.

Can not agree more with everything said so far. After 25 years of programming in almost every language in existence, I finally managed to also get my head around C++ thanks to Jules great work. Despite C++ being the oddest and least concise OO system I’ve ever seen (IMO), I nevertheless very much enjoy it, now that I’ve learned how to properly use it.

What I like most about the library is the modularity of its building blocks that can be combined in so many ways.

Keep up the great work!

I can honestly say JUCE makes me program better!

Thank you Jules for this , keep up the amazing work !! 

Thanks! :)

Yes -  Kudos to you Jules for JUCE. 

Thanks from me too!  I don't really post on the forums much but I've been using Juce for many years and love it.  I've learnt a LOT about the 'right way' to do many things in C++ from the library.  A big cheers too for the dedication to fixing bugs quickly and replying to all the forum posts. :)

++

Just wanted to sign under on this.

Moving to juce from a different environment I was skeptical at first, and found parts of the library unfamiliar and un-natural.

Using it for some time now, I see that there is a reason it is made the way it is, and that it was me who had it wrong.

Had to go back and code in the old framework a couple of weeks ago and suddenly realized how much I like Juce now.

It is truly great. Just hope we can all help Jules and keep it alive for the future.

Have spent the last month or so digging in and Juce is just fantastic.  Jules - how you have time to develop this and answer questions as thorughly as you do is beyond me!  

Cheers!

Thanks! Well, we have a proper team now, it's not just me any more :)

If like to express my appreciation also. It truly is a great framework. I'm still a beginner at programming and C++, but I'm amazed by the things JUCE let's me accomplish with such little knowledge and experience. You did a great job at making it use friendly, as well as beginner friendly. Whenever I learn something new, I can use JUCE to try it out and experiment with it. That's invaluable to me. It's been a great help in my learning experience, so I thank you (Jules and the whole team) for that. 

I started just doing audio programming using Reaktor, so it was natural to want to start creating actual plugins. That's what initially made me want to learn C++ and try out JUCE. After learning a bit of C++ and using JUCE a good bit, I quickly realized that I like other areas of programming (and programming in general) and JUCE makes it easy to experiment with all sorts of different kinds of apps. I try to spread the word to just about anyone I can. It really deserves more attention. It gets a lot of attention with audio programmers, but I feel like a lot of other types of programmers would love it too. I start a C++ class in a few weeks and you better believe I'll be showing of my neat creations and directing people to JUCE. :)