Are There Better Tutorials Than This?

Usually with tutorials on anything they don’t start with the finished product and tell you sparse details about each part or why the part is there. Are there any tutorials on Juce that start with a blank file (by blank I of course mean the template for whatever your building, audio plugin, gui application etc.) and build off of that instead of showing you a finished product and making you basically reverse engineer it and figure it out. It’s like someone saying I can teach you how to build a computer, first look at this computer that’s already made and try to figure it out. I haven’t been able to learn anything from these tutorials. And I find that most people here seem to have used multiple api’s before Juce and are C++ masters. I’m just trying to figure out how to make a simple sine wave and control it with midi. But these tutorials really aren’t helping at all. Do I have to post every question I have on forums and wait for someone to answer them or do I have to search through the class index and try to decipher what these things mean and how they work together? Is there a better way or is that just how it is

I’m basically trying to figure out how to progress, because I took a break from learning Juce to learn C++ more because I didn’t understand the tutorials at all. Now that I have more of an understanding of C++ I realize that the tutorials don’t really give me the info that I’m looking for in a way that’s digestible. My goal is to build a simple guitar VST that is basically a sample with banks of different guitar sounds and a simple gui. I feel like this shouldn’t be too difficult but as you know there’s ALOT of info on this website most of which is not needed for my purposes. I don’t know how to navigate and separate the info that I need from what I don’t need to make this project as quickly as possible.

It may be worth noting that while I think everyone around here is friendly and open to beginners, JUCE is very much a professional framework oriented towards people with a good deal of experience. It’s not going to hold your hand.

The tutorials are more introductions to JUCE and not to audio programming, but I agree that they are a little light.

My goal is to build a simple guitar VST that is basically a sample with banks of different guitar sounds and a simple gui. I feel like this shouldn’t be too difficult.

It’s more difficult than you think it is. Have you looked at more beginner level information, like the Audio Programmer series?

I’m going through that series right now. I’m 11 videos in. For this VST I think I have a full understanding of what I have to learn but I just don’t know where to find this information. With c++ if I need to learn how to create a drop down menu I just search on google “how to make a drop down menu in c++”. But with Juce it seems like this information is hidden deep in the list of classes and modules. And there are so many classes with the same name that do different things. A question that should take me a minute to figure out takes me hours in Juce. Where should I start? Because I’m hoping the answer isn’t that I have to start with taking an algebra course then a calculus course, then move on to linear algebra, than basic, intermediate, and advanced c++, then bassic, intermediate, and advanced audio programing textbooks etc etc. I will if I have to but I want to know if there’s a more efficient and better way to learn this stuff

if you just want to make a sample player for guitar samples you could always look at Kontakt, since the functionality of what you want in JUCE would be similar to that, just samples mapped to keys with velocity and ADSR and filter options. you probably will have to go through all those steps you mentioned. you’ll be a better programmer in the long run! if your goal is to make a guitar VST though id think twice about it though as guitar is like the one instrument that probably hasn’t ever been ported to a successful VST that is actually playable with good articulations that is better then just finding a player to record a part.

Yes, Kontakt does exactly what I’m looking to do. I thought of learning about kontakt more but I don’t what my followers to have to buy kontakt first. This vst will be completely free. It’s basically just a simple vst with go to guitar instruments. Nothing super fancy with articulation etc. Maybe in later versions. I will check to see if kontakt has an open source library with tutorials just so I can study it. I found this blog that so far seems to be exactly what I was looking for in terms of a solid and recent sampler vst tutorial in Juce. I haven’t gotten very far with it yet since I just found it today. Here is a link for anyone that is curious https://vaporsoft.net/creating-a-very-simple-sampler-audio-plugin-in-juce-5/

I thought of learning about kontakt more but I don’t what my followers to have to buy kontakt first.

Check out http://hise.audio

Aw man, that’s amazing thank you! I’m gonna have fun researching this.

two comments; a first on tutorials, the other on NI/Kontakt

i found the tutorials to be reasonably OK - they do skim over a lot of stuff, but I think in combination with this forum (which is a great resource) and some videos on youtube you can build some complicated audio solutions. That’s certainly my experience, as a beginner, anyway.

Having control of your sourcecode has some economic value, but it seems to me that you’re not really trying to build a sampler but to offer a great sample pack. As well as Kontakt, NI’s Reaktor might also suit your needs for building a sampler out of their modular process. You can build a version that plays with the free Reaktor player. But also, if your sample pack is really ‘go-to’ it would be worth talking to a product manager at Native Instruments who might be willing to joint-venture with you - this is how a lot of their product including sample-packs originates.

Best of luck.

You’re welcome :slight_smile: but all thanks go to @chrisboy2000

I’m going to continue learning Juce for my first vst because I want it to be as simple as possible for my friends and followers to just download from my site, install and run in FL Studio and other daws. The fewer steps there are, the more easily it will be able to spread. I make beats for a living so I’m building this for myself first and then I’m going to release it for free once I finish it fully.

OK, it’s worth checking @fabian’s talk from ADC 2015 which helped me understand JUCE a bit better

there’s a lot of good video material on the JUCE channel, although a lot is high level, so you have filter it yourself

and also at ‘The Audio Programmer’ channel, although some of it is out of date and is always worth checking the comments on any video before following it

And like I say, using the search function on this forum is invaluable - a lot of questions I’ve wanted to ask had already be answered, but it takes some reading to get

But, at the end of the day, audio programming is a difficult niche, so you’ll have to do quite a bit of work putting the jigsaw pieces together

This is exactly what I needed. I forgot about these talks, I have to book mark this. Thanks