AU Validation Crash Passing all tests?

Don’t worry, you’ll have at least one person watching the video live for sure.

I tried in many ways to set up the debugger in XCode, attaching the process from product/edit scheme, adding flags and stuff but literally nothing happens after building (it launches auvaltool and says it completes but no output on console or anywhere else).

Don’t forget to turn off ALL Optimizations so Debug works. It was the first mistake I did. :wink:

Any updates on this. I cannot attach to auvaltool either…

@Danjeli, did you check the thread @ttg posted?
TL;DR: you have to copy the binary auvaltool to a different location, because of some obscure security mechanism

I tried copying auvaltool to /Applications and attaching but it just gives me:

Message from debugger: unable to attach

no other info :confused:

Copy it to your home folder :slight_smile:

PS One thing that can catch you out with auvaltool is that it changes sample rate and blocksize during the tests, which doesn’t happen so often in a host…

I think this is a problem on this particular mac machine I’m using.
It’s mac osx mojave, xcode Version 10.1 (10B61)
I can attach with earlier MacOS versions.
If anyone has solved this, it would be good to know for “the future”

1 Like

@Danjeli if @jimc’s suggestion of moving auvaltool doesn’t work you could try turning off SIP ( - if that still doesn’t work then that does sound a little concerning.

I fixed mine on the latest MacOS by resigning the auvaltool in my home directory with my own Developer Id.

jim@murph ~
 $ codesign -fs "Developer ID" ./auvaltool
./auvaltool: replacing existing signature

jimc you legend. without that copied auvaltool was not debuggable for me. accumulating notes here Plugin Dev Notes · GitHub


@olilarkin @jimc Thank you for this.
Just setting up another Mac now. Will follow these instructions :smiley:

1 Like

aim to please :wink:

1 Like

Can any AU experts chime in if this part of the auval log is problematic? Specifically, that it shows of the number of parameters, but does not then actually list them?

Most auval logs I’ve seen follow the above line with an entry for each parameter, in the form:

Parameter ID:0
Name: Bypass
Parameter Type: Boolean
Values: Minimum = Off, Default = Off, Maximum = On
Flags: Values Have Strings, Element Meta, Readable, Writable
-parameter PASS

And then at the end of the parameters listing there is an additional line that says:

Testing that parameters retain value across reset and initialization

So I’m wondering if the absence of those details would indicate a problem.

@Aptrn, are you managing these parameters with an APVTS, or doing it with the old school method?

I wanted to follow up on this, after further testing: I don’t think that issue I pointed out is a problem per se.

It seems that the auval results as shown in the Logic Plug-In Manager’s “Audio Unit Validation Result” window does not list an entry for each parameter.

In contrast, if you run auval in the Terminal, it does include an entry for each parameter. I assume they just omit showing this part in the Logic results window for user-friendly brevity.

Has anybody tried this with the Universal Binary 2 version of auvaltool on Big Sur? It doesn’t seem to be working for me anymore!!


I’m having no luck getting it to work. Granted this is my first time trying to connect to auvaltool.

This used to work for me (Catalina, March 2021) - and isn’t working in Monterey as of today on my M1 mac.

Which is a shame, as I’ve got auvaltool failing and I need to debug it to find out why :slight_smile:

Seem to be able to sign it OK on my Intel mac, however


FWIW, this is what I get on M1 Mac having re-signed:

Fails with
Killed: 9

Having read around the subject, for M1 mac to be able to use the (copied and re-signed) auvaltool, it looks like it might be necessary to restart with SIP disabled; making very sure to re-enable SIP once done.

Best to all, Pete

1 Like

If anybody has been looking for the list of error codes displayed auvaltool (and what they mean!), here you go:

CF_ENUM(OSStatus) {
	kAudioUnitErr_InvalidProperty			= -10879,
	kAudioUnitErr_InvalidParameter			= -10878,
	kAudioUnitErr_InvalidElement			= -10877,
	kAudioUnitErr_NoConnection				= -10876,
	kAudioUnitErr_FailedInitialization		= -10875,
	kAudioUnitErr_TooManyFramesToProcess	= -10874,
	kAudioUnitErr_InvalidFile				= -10871,
	kAudioUnitErr_UnknownFileType			= -10870,
	kAudioUnitErr_FileNotSpecified			= -10869,
	kAudioUnitErr_FormatNotSupported		= -10868,
	kAudioUnitErr_Uninitialized				= -10867,
	kAudioUnitErr_InvalidScope				= -10866,
	kAudioUnitErr_PropertyNotWritable		= -10865,
	kAudioUnitErr_CannotDoInCurrentContext	= -10863,
	kAudioUnitErr_InvalidPropertyValue		= -10851,
	kAudioUnitErr_PropertyNotInUse			= -10850,
	kAudioUnitErr_Initialized				= -10849,
	kAudioUnitErr_InvalidOfflineRender		= -10848,
	kAudioUnitErr_Unauthorized				= -10847,
	kAudioUnitErr_MIDIOutputBufferFull		= -66753,
	kAudioComponentErr_InstanceTimedOut		= -66754,
	kAudioComponentErr_InstanceInvalidated	= -66749,
	kAudioUnitErr_RenderTimeout				= -66745,
	kAudioUnitErr_ExtensionNotFound			= -66744,
	kAudioUnitErr_InvalidParameterValue		= -66743,
	kAudioUnitErr_InvalidFilePath			= -66742,
	kAudioUnitErr_MissingKey				= -66741

I’ve found this site useful as a quick way of converting numerical macOS error codes into their readable symbolic equivalents: