AudioDeviceSelectorComponent doesn't show available inputs

Hello! I have the following problem:

My sound processing application outputs to a midi device. This midi device is a synthesizer software that uses an Asio driver to output sound. I had disabled all the audio inputs on this software, so it shouldn’t “lock” the inputs for my application.

However when I open my application, the AudioDeviceSelectorComponent shows <> at the combo box. I know that the outputs must be locked by the synth application, but it shouldn’t have shown the available inputs (that is, the inputs which are not in use)?

ASIO devices don’t separate their inputs and outputs. You can either open the device as a whole, or not at all.

When I open my application at first, all the inputs are shown. However, the synth application becomes mute. It is not possible to share the same ASIO device between two applications?

Thanks Jules. We both posted at the same time.

Do you have any suggestions to become inputs available for one application and outputs to another?

ASIO is not jack :slight_smile:
(kraken pats his flexible gentoo music box)

I think I’ll need another audiocard… or a “real” midi device like a keyboard synthesizer :confused:

ASIO is not Jack. But jack can use ASIO: :smiley:

http://www.grame.fr/~letz/jackdmp.html

http://www.grame.fr/~letz/jack_windows.bmp

Thanks for the answers, people.

Jack doesn’t appear to be so much reliable, so I’m going to buy a MIDI cable and output midi messages to my girlfriend’s keyboard :stuck_out_tongue: This will also decrease the processor’s overhead, since it will get some more cycles to do sound processing instead of sound synthesis.

eheh cool, but i just can’t use windows anymore :slight_smile:

[quote=“br_programmer”]Thanks for the answers, people.

Jack doesn’t appear to be so much reliable, so I’m going to buy a MIDI cable and output midi messages to my girlfriend’s keyboard :stuck_out_tongue: This will also decrease the processor’s overhead, since it will get some more cycles to do sound processing instead of sound synthesis.[/quote]

Jack is extremely reliable, at least on linux and macosx. On windows I don’t know.

Since you’re working with audio, you might want to do yourself a favor and get a sound card with real ASIO support.