Best way to handle versions of VST synth where I want to have multiple versions installed over time?

I am using Cubase as my DAW. I have made a synth for personal use and I would like to start using it in projects. However, if I change the synth later, I don’t want to then have to redo all the projects using it. So I would want to be able to install multiple versions over time (so old projects can use the old version, new projects can use the new ones).

What is the way to do this? I can obviously build .vst3 files for each version as I make them and drop them in my VST folder separately. But how will the DAW know which is which?

In JUCE we have:

• Project Name
  • Project Version
  • Plugin Name
  • Plugin Code

I presume if I want the DAW to see the different versions differently, I must change something in there between them. But what would make the most sense?

Based on this thread: https://forum.juce.com/t/do-you-need-a-totally-unique-plugin-code-or-is-it-the-combination-of-plugin-code-and-manu-code/35877/13

It would appear that the plugin code must be different between different versions for the DAW to load them differently. Is that correct?

Or is there any other way to handle this? Thanks.

yep, new plugin id and name