BMP Support

I did a search and found this article:

http://www.juce.com/forum/topic/loading-jpgs-bmps

About the loading of BMP images.

I am aware of the reasons why BMP is probably unsupported (and I agree, is outdated). However, I'm working with a SDK which operates on BMP's and I have no choice on its use. That article, above, was from 5 years ago, and so I'm wondering if anything has changed? I am hoping to load a BMP using the following function: Drawable::createFromImageFile(). Is there a workaround for this?

Can't you just convert from .png to .bmp (or the other way round)? Paint can do that.

Or are you creating bmp/png on the fly? In that case, you should be able to pass the raw pixel data instead, no?

I have to create it on the fly.

I was thinking of doing the raw pixel data method. It's a bit out-of-the-way but if that's what it comes down to..

Otherwise, Imagemagick is your friend.

Another situation when you need support for the BMP format (or DIB, which is basically the same format apart from a small piece of the header) is when getting and putting images on the system clipboard. Many applications support putting a blob in PNG format on the clipboard as well, but the only format supported by the Windows API is DIB.

And I have seen that on Linux too – some applications wouldn't paste an image unless it is available as "image/bmp".

--
Roeland

It's really not hard to write some code that can handle the BMP format and convert it to a Juce Image.  BMP is an uncompressed format and copying it's data to a Image object is trivial. So i would just give it a go and create your own BMPImageFormat.

It'd be way too low on our priority list for us to write this from scratch ourselves. But if someone wants to get a half-decent BMPImageFormat working, then we'd probably be able to quickly get it cleaned up and added to the library.