CC messages for VST3

I’m working on a plugin that I previously built for my own use in VST2 form - and now that I want to release it, and also moved my development to a new system, I discover that I can only release VST3 plugins. After some research, much of which led me back to posts on this forum, I’m led to believe that it is not possible to have a VST3 plugin that listens to CC MIDI messages in, and also outputs them. I severely need this - it is crucial to the solution I am building, it is supposed to be controlled by a launchpad and the top row buttons send CC messages. Also, to turn those lights on the top row on and off, my plugin would need to send CC messages.
I have now built a workaround for Ableton Live, where a max patch could transform the Launchpad’s CC messages into note on/offs with note numbers that are not used by launchpad, and back again with another max patch. The problem is that this will not work with other hosts.
I’m thinking of a solution where the plugin would have its own connection to the device, is that possible?

TLDR
Question 1; is it impossible to receive and output CC messages in a VST3 plugin? A VST3 plugin made with JUCE?
Question 2; is it possible to have a plugin have its own hardware connections, even though it is hosted in a DAW?

See:

See:

2 Likes