Code changes not reflected in plugin GUI

Hi. I’m going through the audio plugin tutorial and I’m on the step of building a MIDI volume slider, and when I build and run the solution it opens the audio plugin host with the tutorial plugin as expected, but my changes to the PluginEditor.cpp file aren’t reflected at all. It still says “hello world.” I’ve saved the changes and also tried “save all” and rebuilt the solution, but it’s still showing the original “Hello world” version of the vst3. There are no errors and it appears that Visual Studio is detecting my changes to the code when I click “build solution” (in that it actually builds and doesn’t just say “up to date”) but there’s no change in the plugin GUI when I run it. I’m sure it’s something silly that I’m overlooking, but I’m wondering if anyone has any guidance. Thank you for your patience; I’m new to Visual Studio and development in a Windows environment.

Couple of things come to mind :

• You don’t have the plugin copy step enabled for the build, so the host is loading the old version of the plugin
  • You do have that enabled but the host was still running when you did the build, so the new plugin build could not be copied into the location that the host is using (that should show up as a build error in Visual Studio, though)

Also, if the host was still running when building, it’s possible it has the old version cached in memory, so that the file could be overwritten, but still the previous build shows. Most hosts you need to close completely to make sure that the plugin is actually unloaded.

Thanks guys. I couldn’t get it working and ended up just reinstalling JUCE and building the audio plugin host again from scratch and now my changes are showing up. I also added the project’s build directory to the list of directories where the audio plugin host looks for VST’s rather than trying to set up a build action with Visual Studio to copy the built VST file to the default directory where the other ones are. I’m sure I’ll have to do that eventually but y’know, baby steps. Thanks again for your help.