Compiling AU plugin in Snow Leopard/Xcode 3.2

Hi All,

I’ve been working on an audio plugin using the Juce Plugin Framework and it’s been an absolute joy to use so far. However I just upgraded to Snow Leopard and XCode 3.2 and now I get 91 errors when trying to build my project. They all seem to relate to not being able to find the AU base class files. Has anyone else had this problem and have you managed to fix it?

Cheers,

John.

I’m still on 10.5 and Xcode 3.1.3 but…

Apple seems to like messing with the AU stuff such that it breaks between each OS point release! They’ve probably moved the files (or possibly significantly changed them or the way AUs are built).

They’ve certainly moved them, but they don’t seem to have changed much. They were in a stupid location originally, so at least they’re now in a place that makes a little more sense.

What I’ve done in the latest demo build is to make all the included file paths relative to the xcode groups that contain them, so there are less paths that need to be changed - I find it quickest to open the xcode project in a text editor and do a quick find/replace. Or just make a duplicate of the relevant AU headers folder in the right location.

Wow! Lightning-fast response there. I don’t actually know what the new location of the files is but I’ll do a quick root around and find them.

Thanks,

John.

Ah, I see them now in /Developer/Extras/CoreAudio/AudioUnits

You’re right. That does seem more sensible.

Beats me why all that code isn’t just inside a framework, but nothing much we can do about it…

[quote=“jules”]They’ve certainly moved them, but they don’t seem to have changed much. They were in a stupid location originally, so at least they’re now in a place that makes a little more sense.
[/quote]

I just got what you were talking about there. Yeah, the original location is kinda dumb.

[quote]
What I’ve done in the latest demo build is to make all the included file paths relative to the xcode groups that contain them, so there are less paths that need to be changed - I find it quickest to open the xcode project in a text editor and do a quick find/replace.[/quote]

Any recommended text editor? TextEdit seems to be unable to open up an .xcodeproj file.

Thanks,

Sean Costello

I think I just did it in xcode

You need to edit the “project.pbxproj” file inside the .xcodeproj package (ctrl-click -> “Show Package Contents”). This will open in Xcode or any other text editor.

Editing things in xcode is generally easier and safer. If you need an editor try using TextWrangler on the file suggested by Martin.

Just in case you want to use xcode to edit the header search path, select the target double click it/command i search for HEADER_SEARCH_PATHS and include the paths here.

I feel its always better to go with settings from Xcode.
Look and feel is always good. Editing the project file from text editor is always messy and u never know, u might have deleted some other tags too.

I use Xcode settings where possible. But for example, I couldn’t find an easy way to change the paths to frameworks which change depending on the SDK selected for a build. e.g., if “/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework” is absolute path, it’s easy to change the path in the text file to “System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework” (without the leading slash) and the source tree to SDKROOT.

Well editing in text editor is also good in one way…as xcode dose not support undo on settings. u hit delete u lost the tag.