Does JUCE Indie allow multi-platform development?

I’m sorry if this has been answered somewhere but i’ve seriously searched the website and forum but could not find the answer to this question:
If i buy a JUCE Indie license (yes i’m an indie dev), am i allowed to use JUCE on both my Windows and Mac machines to build my multi-platform product(s)?
The EULA says (par 2.2) that i’m only allowed to install JUCE on 1 CPU. What does that mean?
At the same time the EULA also says that i’m allowed to “provided it is used on only one computer at any one time by a single developer, transfer the Software from one computer to another”.
Isn’t that a contradiction? I’m sorry but it’s very confusing.

In other words: If i want to sell a closed-source multi-platform product with JUCE then do i have to buy a JUCE Indie license per platform?? So that’s 2000 USD for Windows + Mac?? That’s out of my small budget. Or does a single JUCE Indie license allows building + selling closed-source products on all platforms? Am i the only one wondering about this after reading the EULA?

The Indie Lic. details are pretty clear on the web page:

https://www.juce.com/get-juce/indie

For sole traders, JUCE Indie allows:

• Closed source projects
  • Commercial use of JUCE
  • Release to all platforms: Desktop, iOS and Android

Rail

Thx for your reply Rail. Yes i know that. But the EULA is the only real legal document and that one is far from clear. The EULA says:

"You may:
a. install and use the Software for your internal business purposes (save where you have purchased an education licence) on one central processing unit (CPU) per single developer (save where use of the Software is in accordance with clause 2.2 (b)) to enable the development of Licensee Content;

b. install and use the Software on multiple CPUs where use of the Software is on build automation servers"

What does that mean? Why does the EULA speak about only 1 CPU? I’m sorry if this is a dumb question but at least for me that’s very confusing.

Without a link… I believe the EULA you’re talking about is referring to ProJucer

Rail

I’m simply clicking on “View the End User Licence Agreement” on the JUCE Indie page.
This links to https://www.juce.com/juce-licence
That EULA doesn’t say anything specific about Projucer.
That EULA is about JUCE Indie i think.

That is correct, Rail, the EULA refers to the Projucer (the Software) in this context.

The terms of the JUCE license aim at enforcing the fact that the JUCE license is “per seat” rather than per product or per company, i.e. that a license covers one developer and not a team of developers.

So, to answer your question, Vrish, as an indie developer, you can use JUCE to develop and deploy on all platforms with one license only. JUCE indie does allow building + selling closed-source products on all platforms.

hi JB,

I think the confusion stems from 2.2. © where it refers to “The Software” rather than the API or SDK or JUCE Code

Cheers,

Rail

Understood. We’re in the process of updating the license terms to clarify them. Vrish, i hope that I have answered your question?

Thanks JB! That clarifies it :slight_smile:
Just as constructive feedback: It was a confusing situation for me, it’s not clear on the website that that EULA is about Projucer.

PS: Is there an explicit JUCE Indie EULA somewhere?

This is the reference for the JUCE EULA: https://www.juce.com/juce-licence

I’m sorry but now i’m a bit confused again. If that EULA is about Juce Indie, then what does this exactly mean:

“You may install and use the Software for your internal business purposes (save where you have purchased an education licence) on one central processing unit (CPU) per single developer (save where use of the Software is in accordance with clause 2.2 (b)) to enable the development of Licensee Content;”

Only 1 CPU = only 1 computer, right?

Do you understand my confusion or am i really missing something obvious?

The JUCE EULA is generic and covers both Pro and Indie licenses. By 1 CPU we do mean 1 computer, yes.

So that EULA seems to say that you can only use JUCE Indie on 1 computer, which is not true, based on your clarification here. I apologize if i’m missing something obvious. Anyway, i trust on your clarification. Thanks.

Edit: Ok, i’ve reread this topic and now more consciously read “We’re in the process of updating the license terms to clarify them.” Thx.

I think the confusion is, that there is no clear definition of what “the software” and what “juce indie” is. I think there should be distinguished between:

“the software”, which refers to the projucer and it’s usage to develop your products.

“the API”, which is contained in the produced software for deployment.

“juce Indie”, which refers to a licensing scheme, which allows for a certain company form and size (being a sole trader), to use the software to code on one computer and to sell/publish the products containing the compiled API to all plattforms.

…I hope I got that right, otherwise I will have to read it all over :wink:

Maybe the new legal docs could introduce a similar terminology i.e. distinction…?

the wonderful universe of legalese :smiley: good luck with it

1 Like

Perhaps the concepts and constraints of the EULA could be translated to C++, to be unambiguously understood by us developer :wink: